Worried about F8

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
Poor thing. Scooty Puff has been throguh a lot. When I first got him and another, the tank was too salty and his tank mate died. But I managed to save him. Then we noticed he had a lump on his side, that looked like a nematode. Then one day recently it started peeling off, and now it's gone completely. But since then he has not eaten much. I used to feed him about 4 brine shirmp every day, and he'd be fat for a little while then the next day be skinny. I started feeding him snails as soon as they were big enough, and he would gobble them up. Now he is not eating though. He is skinny, he is ignoring both his shrimp and his snails, some of the srhimp have gotten caught in the current and hit him in the head, so i know he knows they are there. Now they have sunk to the bottom of the tank, which has never happened before (boy do they look creepy). He's also a lot darker than he used to be. He is occasionally wall climbing, or chilling at the bottom, but the majority of the time he is swimming around. Occasionally I see him yawning. His tail isn't clamped or anything, he just looks sad. I don't know what to do for him.... I'm going to go to the pet store today and see if they have a hydrometer that will give me accurate measurements.... Maybe he's lonely? I don't know... He's all alone in a big 20 gallon. He did have some mollies that lived with him, just babies, but he finally ate the last one. So now he's all alone... Should I get another puffer for him? My parameters are fine except for salinity, that might be off. I still havent found a good hydrometer.

ETA: If I were to get him a tank mate, what would be my best option? I know people at one of the LFS about an hour away and they can special order for me if I ask nicely, but more common critters would probably be easiest

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Pufferpunk said it all. If you wanted another figure 8, you would need at least a 25g (15g for the first and 10g for each additional figure 8). I would not add any tankmates to his home. If you wanted, you might get away with 3-5 bumblebee gobies, but the puffer may or may not agree with them. It's hit and miss whether they will allow tankmates or not. The tank parameters PP asked for will help us a great deal.

Are the brine shrimp and snails the only foods that have been offered? Puffers need a variety of foods, and brine shrimp are not particularly nutritious for them. The addition of spirulina or vitamin soak helps, but it's best to feed lots of different things from bloodworms to clams to shrimp. You can use the kind you get at the grocery store, raw, with the shell on. One will last for several feedings, so I would chop it into 3 or 4 pieces depending on what size you get and keep them frozen and only thaw out the piece you are going to use. Snails are a great food for them, too.

sea-community

Love-to put more Life, into my life
Jul 7, 2009
Redway, California
i would go with some gobies if you wanted something to be in there with the little guy, i wouldnt stretch getting another.. sometimes the tank doesn't seem..."lively" enough with just him, i had 5 bumblebee gobies in my 45 with my gsp. i just stopped feeding him live food for about a month or two, then introduced the new tank mates, and he was fine with them. the first week he would chase 1 or 2 around a bit (always be prepared with another [tank just in case]) but he stopped doing that after a a week or two, then he was fine with them wouldn't even bother them.also since my gsp are messy eaters the little gobies eat the left overs so it wasn't that hard to feed them and they were a good clean up crew. what im trying to get at is that figure eights aren't as aggressive as gsp's, i find them a lot more "tame" but then again you never know what they're personality is going to be. Honesty the gobies would be your best bet if you wanted something else in there with him. also i would suggested to plant the tank so there are plenty of hiding places for the gobies

sea-community

Love-to put more Life, into my life
Jul 7, 2009
Redway, California
no, but when i neglected the tank for awhile during my play, only 3 survived so i had the idea that he might have eaten a 2 because i was being stupid and didnt give him all the food he needed during that time.
but they were all in there for about 3-4 months doing great (no chasing or anything), then we hit rehearsals and soon enough hell week came.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store