125 gallon aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blackghost415

AC Members
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco,Ca
So I've now been in the hobby since I was in 6th grade. I've grown as well as to the number of tanks and the different species I've had.
I'm upgrading my 60 gallon to a 125 gallon.
Right now the occupants are 5 altum angelfish, 1 peruvian angelfish, 2 koi angels, and 1 black female angel. Also I have 5 discus, 2 congo tetra, a foot long black ghost knife, and a footlong aba aba knife.
I wanted to put a freshwater stingray in but I want one that stays as small as possible I've heard 14 inches is the smallest but any suggestions would be nice, I read they do well with angels and discus and have always been interested in them. Since I got to college it has to be around 100$ at most.

Another problem of mine is I currently have a fluval 405, and aquaclear 110, I was wondering is this enough filtration or should I upgrade? and to what?
Thanks all help is much appreciated

Blackghost415

AC Members
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco,Ca
Well the aba knife is eventually being given to a friend of mine, and the stingray I will be keeping untilits around 12 inches then giving him away to a hobbyist ive known for a while. I heard tea cups could be many different kinds of stingray its just a common name for baby stingray?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Teacups are the smallest species of FW stingray, but from what I've gathered they're more difficult to maintain than some of the somewhat larger species like motoro. In spite of their smaller size they still need a larger tank. Stingrays are better suited to wide tanks or even indoor ponds; they need surface area rather than depth to thrive.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
You could keep a reticulated ray in a 125.Getting a retic(tea cup) to eat is the difficult part.That is why they are not recommended for beginners.Once you have them eating,they are not harder to keep than any other ray. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to keep them with angels and discus though.Considering the difficulty in getting them to eat,and it probably not being a good idea to keep them with the fish you already have,you should probably wait on it IMO.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:cool: A 125g is a nice upgrade but if you're gonna keep all or even most of those guys you've got listed plus add a ray, you're gonna need a 'bigger boat'. P. Reticulata (teacup ray) is gonna need most of that tank. They're finicky eaters to begin with as juvies so a busy tank isn't gonna be helpful. As for filtration, I would definitely add another med/lg size canister to your existing setup. Perhaps another '405' or XP3 or C360. Keep an eye on that Aba / BGK relationship could be soon there's only room enough for one 'sherrif in this town'. "T"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store