got lipstick goby and "red flame" goby need help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
I ended up getting a bunch of fish from a guy and I just haven't had gobies in a while now that I have them in person I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with those guys.

got 4 lipstick gobies and 2 red flame gobies

the 4 lipstick gobies were stuck into my sultan pleco tank with temp of 78 degrees and they chill out in the high current area clinging on the glass which is very cool

and the red flame gobies I have not seen as they're in the heavily planted non-heated tank which temp is now 68-70 depending on time of the day/night.

not much info is out on those guys any help would be appreciated

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Lipstick gobies are most likely sicyopus jonklaasi, and the red flame goby is most often used as a common name for sicyopus zosterophorum. Pictures will help to confirm or deny the IDs. Both are carnivorous, which makes them easier to deal with than many of the stiphodon gobies that come into the hobby, but both also require pretty specific conditions, namely high flow, high dissolved oxygen content tanks. They are from riverine environments, and would be most comfortable in a tank that replicates the conditions. Unfortunately, the zosterophorums are listed on fishbase as a tropical species, so they would probably me far more comfy in the warmer tank, and the jonklaasi are listed as subtropical, so they'd be better placed in the cooler tank, though the listed temps are definitely still quite a bit below their preferred ranges. All in all, given the species you picked up (assuming I'm right about their actual id's) you probably won't have much trouble keeping them fed, but I seriously have to question your decision to purchase fish and plop them into tanks with 0 research or regard for their actual husbandry needs. As of now, all of these fish coming into the hobby are wild caught without exception, so now that you have them, it is absolutely imperative that you provide the proper conditions to ensure their success.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store