How slow do clown loaches grow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Freezekougra

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Brooklyn NY
Smaller ones at ~2" seem to be cheaper and easier to find, so I was wondering how long it would take to grow clown loaches out from 1. 2" to 3" and 2. 2" to 4"

They will most likely be fed on frozen bloodworms

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Less than a year in a 4 foot tank but they need more than just bloodworms to grow & be healthy. A variety of pellets & wafers, zucchini etc should be fed too.

If your tank is smaller zebra loaches would be a better choice

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Small ones should grow quickly and can be 4"+ in a year, after that their growth slows down to maybe 1" per year.

The bigger ones are more expensive because someone has had to house and feed them for a year, and that cost $$.

So buying the small ones isn't a big deal as they are still in that early growth stage. The really BIG ones may be 10 or more years old.

Ian

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
I have 6 clown loaches in my 6 x 2 x 2 the largest one "Norman" I have had for 8 year and bought it at 1" it is now about 8" the other 3 loaches I bought at the same time range from 5 to 7" and were the same size when purchased. The other 2 I rescued from one of my sons friends father's tank he had them in a 2' tank with about a dozen other fish. When I explained that these fish need company and grow to large for his tank he said take them and put them in your tank. They were 2" when I got them and 2 years later they are only about 4" I don't know how long they had been in the tank or what they had been fed but they have not grown as fast as the others.

I think it depends on the circustances the fish is in like how large the tank the quality of food etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store