Green spotted puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chobits16

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2010
Puyallup, WA
so i know they can survive in just about any type of water but i had mine in fresh water and it started to seem like it wasnt doing so good after about 2weeks so i quarantined it into a 2gallon brackish with stress coat and i was wondering if there were any suggestions on what i should do.

arise1dwr

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Chicago
although they can survive in fresh, brackish is their natural habitat, i would keep its water brackish. As they get older problems tend to develop when kept in fresh water.

Chobits16

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2010
Puyallup, WA
alright thanks well like i said i am planning on it im just trying to sell the last couple convict babies i have and then ima convert the whole tank to brackish. anyone else have any suggestions to make sure he recovers well?

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Care and feeding: The Spotted Green Puffers are omnivores, though a large part of their diet is meaty foods. In their natural environment they will eat various invertebrates, crustaceans and mollusks, but they also eat some vegetation.They are not difficult to feed as they will usually eat a variety of flake, frozen, and live foods including shrimp, ghost shrimp (gut-loaded), bloodworms, freeze-dried krill, crabs, brine shrimp, and snails.
Puffers have strong teeth that grow throughout their lives, so are prone to overgrown teeth. Offer hard shelled live food often to keep the teeth worn down. Feeding snails daily will help to wear down the teeth. If the teeth get too long, they will be unable to eat, requiring the owner to clip the teeth.
Since puffers do not have gill covers or scales, they are thought to be more susceptible to diseases, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia levels. Like all puffers, this puffer is not a good fish to cycle an aquarium with. Also because they usually don't eat all of their food (messy eaters!), these fish will usually put more load on the aquarium filtration requiring more frequent water changes and better maintenance in general. A generous weekly water change of 30% to 50% is the standard recommendation for a puffer aquarium.
A 20 gallon aquarium mightwork well for this puffer, however if you want to be on the safe side, a well planted 50 - 60 gallon aquarium is better. Provide plenty of plants and rockwork for retreats as well as open areas for swimming. This puffer fish is a freshwater to brackish species and adding aquarium salt is suggested. But like many of the brackish species, the Spotted Green Puffer can be acclimated to hard, alkaline fresh water or it can be acclimated to a saltwater environment.

Acceptable Water Conditions:
Temp: 75 ° - 82 ° F (24 - 28 °C)
pH: 7.5 to 8.5
Hardness: 9 - 19 dH (medium to medium hard)

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
My gsp would stop eating periodically while I was working him up to marine, and when I'd treat him with antibiotics he'd do fine for a while. Once I got him to marine though he did great. And btw, I think a 20 gallon tank is definitely too small for this fish, troy"cool". They are very intelligent and need room to explore. Mine seemed bored in a 65, also that's bs about aquarium salt, and them being freshwater to brackish. In my experience they do best in high end brackish to marine, and use marine salt. Don't pretend to be an "expert" on something you know nothing about.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
My gsp would stop eating periodically while I was working him up to marine, and when I'd treat him with antibiotics he'd do fine for a while. Once I got him to marine though he did great. And btw, I think a 20 gallon tank is definitely too small for this fish, troy"cool". They are very intelligent and need room to explore. Mine seemed bored in a 65, also that's bs about aquarium salt, and them being freshwater to brackish. In my experience they do best in high end brackish to marine, and use marine salt. Don't pretend to be an "expert" on something you know nothing about.
I have known quite a lot of people with their gsp in a 20 gal tank and they do just fine. I see what you are sayong and have thought about it. You may be right and I apologize for my data.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I guarantee you they will be stunted in a 20g.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Considering they can live into their teens & grow 6", I'd suggest he upgrades.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store