Chinese Algae Eater.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cM iPro v3

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Im confused and could do with some help i have 2 chinese algae eaters and i looked at them on the live aquaria website and it said that it could grow up to 10 inches? has anybody had any past experiences with these fish as i dont have a big enough tank to fit two 6 inch fish in? thanks in advance :)

wwg

AC Members
Jan 22, 2008
Parma,Italy
It can reach 6" .I haven't seen a 10"CAE but a lot of websites i've visited say it can reach that size

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
yah those suckers are super aggressive

My mom has one in her betta tank (10g) and this stupid thing was chasing the betta all around the tank

Sometimes the betta finally has enough and pushes back...I gave my mom a nice big plant for the betta to hide in and she's going to get rid of it when the weather gets a little warmer

(she's always trying to pawn it off on me whenever i see her and i absolutely refuse! lol)

I personally have never seen one 10 inches myself...but at the LFS they have them in the 5-7 inch range

The bigger these guys get...the more aggressive they become

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
It can range up to 11 inches (28 cm) in length. It has a reputation for becoming increasingly jealous of its territory as it matures, and also can be aggressive to fish, especially slow, flat-bodied fish. In the home aquarium, the algae eater makes a poor tank mate. It is very aggressive and boisterous; they often attack other fish and rip off scales, causing infection.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
...I gave my mom a nice big plant for the betta to hide in and she's going to get rid of it when the weather gets a little warmer...
Not by releasing it into a lake or river, I hope.

Find someone who actually wants the CAE or euthanize if you absolutely can't and won't keep it yourself.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Not by releasing it into a lake or river, I hope.

Find someone who actually wants the CAE or euthanize if you absolutely can't and won't keep it yourself.
Come on man..I'm a fisherman...who cares about our natural resources

That would be absolutely ridiculous...it's going back to the LFS if anything and I'm honestly surprised anyone would say / do something that irresponsible

I know it happens more often than people would like to believe...But i'm not a bonehead and thanks for the pointless post

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store