Gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

steveeas

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
central texas
hey all,
had to do an emergency move from a failing 72g bowfront to a 120 g tank. i put pea gravel in the tank. But after a couple of days, about half of my clowns seem to have dings on their snouts; i presume from the pea gravel.

Contemplating replacing the gravel with sandblasting sand or playground sand (on a budget). Has anyone ever pulled this off with a full tank? I had to keep the loaches in an aerated, heated garbage can for a couple of days, and i'm reluctant to stress them all over again so soon.

steve
texas

Jeremy Smith

Lizard loachnut
May 18, 2006
ma
I would agree with your thoughts on the situation. If you decide to go with play sand rinse very well and when you think you have rinsed it enough repeat it.

loachmom

I love pangios!!!
Feb 17, 2007
PA
I would not think that rounded pea gravel would cause injuries to your loaches' snouts. I kept mine on smooth aquarium gravel for about a year before I changed to sand. Sometimes when loaches have their dominance fights, they will lock their mouths together. This can cause minor abrasions on the loach's mouth. Here is a photo of some clowns I used to own engaged in a dominance battle.

It is possible to change to sand with the fish still in the tank. I've done it before. I highly recommend pool filter sand; it is easier to clean than play sand.

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
After only a few days there won't be much if any beneficial bacteria to lose. I have removed substrate with fish in but a much smaller tank. I used a square plastic container to scoop out the old substrate. I did half & added some new ~1/3 pool sand with a gap between old & new. Then removed the othe half after a few days break.
If you go slow adding the sand in a small pitcher or similar you can lower it & aim fairly accurately.

Pool sand is pretty inexpensive ~$10/50lbs. Unless you have rooted plants it doesn't need to be very deep

Cute pic loachmom!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store