Would this be unwise? keeping something i caught fishing w/ storebought fish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Plec123

AC Members
Sep 12, 2009
So I just had an awesome idea.
Would it be possible for me to keep a wild caught bluegill or pumpkinseed with my store bought tropicals? Yes, I realize that many tropicals are wildcaught (and i know for a fact that at least one of mine is.)...

But do you guys think the bluegill/pumpkinseed would bring disease or parasites into my tank? I would try to catch a small one, maybe like 4" and let it grow out.
My tank is 38gals btw.
the other fish that wouldnt become feeders for the BG/PS are a blue acara, BN pleco, and aluminum cat.

PLEASE, I need opinions!

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
Quarantine the fish for at least 4 weeks to be safe

There is a moral issue with purchasing wild-caught fish versus captive-bred... my question to you is why do you want to capture and keep one in a tank? Personally, I try and get my fish to have the next-best-thing to living free and wild, a healthy, large, and changing ecosystem in a tank.

Lastly, it is usually illegal to buy/sell local fish. So as long as you don't try to buy/sell, quarantine, and are really sure your doing this with good intentions and an open mind, and your okay.

Plec123

AC Members
Sep 12, 2009
Quarantine the fish for at least 4 weeks to be safe

There is a moral issue with purchasing wild-caught fish versus captive-bred... my question to you is why do you want to capture and keep one in a tank? Personally, I try and get my fish to have the next-best-thing to living free and wild, a healthy, large, and changing ecosystem in a tank.

Lastly, it is usually illegal to buy/sell local fish. So as long as you don't try to buy/sell, quarantine, and are really sure your doing this with good intentions and an open mind, and your okay.
I am going to look up keeper sizes etc. for the fish, and yes i will be quarantining.
I want to keep one of these fish simply because I find them very interesting, theyre beautiful when it comes to coloration, and because they are very smart and have tons of personality. pumpkinseed/bluegill always inspect my feet when i wade into shallow water when fishing, so i think They would be very engaging to have as pets.

and again, I would quarantine.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
I wouldnt mix coldwater and tropical fish together.

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
I think it would be ok. We have a BG in a 75 with an Oscar. They have been living together for about a year and a half. As far as legality, you have to check where you live, go to the DNR website in your area. I now that some states restrict transporting fish from one body of water to another.
Look at my pics to se the Oscar and BG
GOOD LUCK

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
He's doing great, just like Plec said, he's very personable, and very active. At feeding time he is the aggressor and has the Oscar backing up. The lil engine that could type of thing HAHA.

Plec123

AC Members
Sep 12, 2009
I'll look up legalities and whatnot, and if i decide to go with the BG/PS then I will get rid of my other fish and get store credit with them... maybe buy a powerhead or something.

I just wanna change things up i guess, and do something different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store