True Aquatic Mosses

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PhaidOut

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
I want to start using more mosses and moss like plants (liverworts) in my tanks and I am having a heck of a time figuring out what mosses are truly aquatic. I know a good deal about plants but not this sub-group. I have spent some time doing research but I am underwhelmed. I thought maybe a definitive thread here would be good thing to start. Especially for those of us who are not experts on the subject.

I for one don't want to throw a lot of money at a bunch of mosses and then have them turn wilt away. It would be good to know what will grow without CO2, the lighting conditions and in what pH range as well.

In my opinion, if you have grown it in a truly aquatic environment without the aid of a gigawatt per gallon lighting and a $1000 dollar CO2 system then it must be an aquatic form. What I am saying is that I know that some plants that are only really emersed types will continue to grow or survive under the right conditions even when fully submerged. I don't think they should be considered aquatic for the sake of this thread though. Lets aim it at people with reasonable lighting and at most a low end C02 system - there are a lot of us out there. The sellers of aquatic plants often post plants I know will never survive submerged, so I don't find them a reliable source.

What I have in the definitely aquatic list so far:

• Java Moss - Taxiphyllum barbieri
  • Christmas Moss - Vesicularia montagne
  • Pellia

Definitely not:

• Star Moss (emersed growth)

Mosses that I believe are aquatic but have not found a definitive answer on:

• Weeping Moss - Vesicularia ferriei
  • Creeping Moss - Vesicularia sp
  • Willow Moss - Fontinalis antipyretica
  • Taiwan Moss - Taxiphyllum sp
  • Erect Moss - Vesicularia reticulata
  • Singapore Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
  • Flame Moss - Taxiphyllum sp.
  • Phoenix Moss (US Fissidens) - Fissiden fontanus
  • Phoenix Moss - Fissidens sp. from Singapore
  • Mini Taiwan Moss - Isopterygium sp.
  • String Moss (Japan Moss) - Taxiphyllum sp.
  • Stringy Moss - Leptodictyum riparium
  • Giant Moss - Taxiphyllum sp.
  • Green Sock Moss - Taxiplyllum sp.
  • Taxiplyllum sp. 'Peacock'
  • Spiky Moss - Taxiplyllum sp.
  • Nano Moss - Amblystegium serpens

Last edited:

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Mosses are pretty bulletproof in the aquarium. They will grow in low light/no co2 situations to high light/high co2 situations and everywhere in between.

As far as what will grow submerged and what wont, its really hard to get definitive identifications on mosses. The fronds will grow different from set up to set up and most of the time take a similar form, but sometimes can look different. The only way that I know of to truly ID them if you dont already know what it is, is under a microscope.

PhaidOut

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
I agree mostly from what I know of true aquatic species; but I have heard some will only do well in an acidic environment for example.

As for determining the species you are correct. I have java moss that looks like 3 different types of moss depending on lighting and other tank conditions. I would hope when purchasing you are getting what you are buying but you never know.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
http://www.aquamoss.net/

i have kept all these in the aquarim

• Weeping Moss - Vesicularia ferriei
  • Creeping Moss - Vesicularia sp
  • Willow Moss - Fontinalis antipyretica
  • Taiwan Moss - Taxiphyllum sp
  • Singapore Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
  • Flame Moss - Taxiphyllum sp.
  • Phoenix Moss (US Fissidens) - Fissiden fontanus (there lots of different fissiden sps)
Taxiplyllum sp. 'Peacock'

the rest i believe are also aquatic.

and as you hinted Pellia while not a moss but a livewort is also aquatic.

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Aquatic magic has a few for sale that are rather dubious. The starmoss is one and there were others I checked out and they ended up being terresterial. Seems rather unscrupulous if you ask me.

I personally like collecting my own mosses. I do have java and christmas moss but I have found some others in local trout streams that are true aquatics and seem to be doing ok. I like the whole trial and error thing. I've also read some terrestrials can be grown underwater. They die back and grow new fronds suited for the new environment. Tie a bit of something new to a small stone in the aquarium. If it dies, throw it out, if not...cool!

I've become very interested in mosses lately and I can say patience is of the utmost importance. I put some christmas moss in my tank over a month ago and the fronds have just started to orient themselves to the light and bud. So slooooow.

Last edited:

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Another true aquatic liverwort is riccia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store