Huge lump on goldfish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

starky

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
My goldfish has a great big lump right near his tail. He has had this lump for quite a while, but I have never done anything about it because I didn't know if there's anything that can be done for goldfish. It doesn't seem to be causing it any trouble(I wouldn't quite know, but I don't think it is..)
Here's a pic, the best I could take. Now, before you view it, I know it is ghastly...Im sorry..

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss104/RDJr/SDC10980.jpg

Just to note: That's not the tank they're normally in, I had them in there today because I was moving them into a new tank. Also, the white doesn't have anything wrong with it, there's no lump on him or anything.

Is there anything that can be done? Is there anyway to make it smaller or get rid of it?

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Wowsers

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
O...M...G... It looks like some type of tumor

starky

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Thanks, this is making me feel much better:(

I know it's hideous :( But it doesn't seem to be causing him any trouble. He swims fine with it and it doesn't throw him off balance or anything. He's had it for ages an it's gradually got worse. I haven't done anything to him becuase I don't know if anything can be done to goldfish. I just want to kn ow if there's anything that I can do to make it smaller? Is that even possible?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Thanx for taking time as I was very curious of this external growth. I am bit surprised you have not tempted to perform physical removal of this tumor at early stage.
I dont think it is external cauliflower like growth of lympho.

If I had a opportunity of acquiring a fish in that condition, I would've tempted to surgically remove this growth with assistance of veterinarian. Such massive growth, imo, would require local pain killer and something to stop or at least slow down possible massive bleeding after incision. Then, I would try to stitch it up as best as I can. Even such procedure was/is successful, reoccurence is high possibility.
Such experiment would yield so much findings which may assist other fish in the future.

Anyway, I dont know what to say as there maybe no remedy for this growth.

You may contact your local vet to acquire more info on possible surgical procedure or drugs which may assist in reduction or control of this growth. You could also contact your local PUBLIC AQUARIUM for further assistance as I have shared valuable info with a friend who was a staff at my local AQUARIUM.

I seriously doubt this is contagious thus whether to isolate or not, I will leave it up to you.

When did it start to appear?

starky

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
I would have never have thought of doing surgery on a fish, I never knew you could. I thought it would be dificult. And I wouldn't know what to do, even after reading up on what to do I'd more than likely still mess it up :(

I can call my local vet and see what they say, see if the deal with fish.

And I know this is going to sound really bad.....But it's had the lump for at least two/three years. At first it was really small and gradually got bigger and bigger. I only started thinking about it last night when I moved them into their new tank and just felt horrible for how huge it was. But like I said, it doesn't seem to affect it's swimming or anything, and it defiantely doesn't affect it's appetite! I have another goldfish, a white one, and that one hasn't got anything wrong with it whatsoever. So I honestly don't think it's contagious. So I won't seperate them.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Starky, this is indeed a tumor but whether it is benign or cancerous, that's another story and one I cannot even confirm myself without the proper equipments to examine that. However as long as the fish is provided healthy conditions, it'll live as long as its lifespan and health can manage it. In cases confirmed benign, the fish can carry it for its whole life without issues unless surgically operated on.

Yes, a surgery is recommended if this was in critical areas such as near the gill area or dorsal area that could critically intervene with the gill function. In this case however, you have a choice. I've done tumor surgery myself but I would not recommend doing this unless you have your heart set on it and careful enough not to mess with the procedures which could otherwise kill your fish.

Materials you need would be surgical gloves, scalpel, soft towels, iodine solution, Biobandage, clove oil/Finquel (MS-222), scissors, forceps, unused spray bottle, airpumps, two 1-liter tub and ziplock bags.

To prepare your necessary sedatives, check this.
http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/how-to-sedate-a-fish-with-finquel-or-clove-oil.html

By the way, clove oil is also available as eugenol in pharmacies.

For tumor surgery procedures, check this.
http://thegab.org/Veterinary-Procedures/goldfish-tumor-removal-surgery.html

Where are you located?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store