Mystery puffer death....confused!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
2 days ago my GPS was extremely healthy, vibrant, and active as normal. He happily gobbled up his snails. The next day I was in bed all day with a 24 hour flu. So I didn't check on any of my fish. Which is rare for me. Today I was actually able to get out of bed so I checked on them and was horrified when I discovered my GPS was dead.

Normally, I can determine from checking over a dead fish how it died, or at least have a good guess. This time I'm baffled though. He was standing straight up and down with the top of his head touching the water line. Which is rare (for me anyways). I usually find dead fish either sitting on the bottom of the tank or at least floating on their side. When I scopped him up I noticed that his right eye and a large area surronding it was reddish brown. I'm guessing blood? There also seems to be a bubble of some sort. I don't know how long he has been dead (could have been anywheres from 1 to 24 hours), so I didn't check the water parameters. However, this tank has been running over about 7 months. When I last checked it, everything was perfect. I don't think he died from a disease. I "play" with him every day and would have noticed if he was sick. There have been no changes at all with him that would even indicate any diseases. He's about 6 to 8 months old. I purchased him 5 and a half months ago and he was under 1.5 inches.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if its an injury of some sort? Its the only conclusion that I can come too. Maybe he rammed into something? I have a castle in there that he sleeps in at night. Maybe he somehow got the area around his eye stuck in the intake? But if that was it, wouldn't he have still been in there?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Was your GSP in freshwater? I ask because this is posted in general freshwater. They are a brackish fish when little, and need more and more salt in their water as they get older.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
how big is the tank your puffers are in? gsps need 30 gallons per fish. if your tank was too small, one may have stressed the other one out enough that it died.

are they in brackish water? also, what do you mean by perfect parameters for your water? nitrites and ammonia at the very least should be posted if you actually expect people to be able to help you pinpoint your problem

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
Was your GSP in freshwater? I ask because this is posted in general freshwater. They are a brackish fish when little, and need more and more salt in their water as they get older.
Opps I posted in the wrong spot. I just read the "general" Im tired lol. He was in brackish water with a SG of 1.015 He was only about 2.5 to 3 inches which is why I hadn't yet brought him up to 1.022.

If the issue was that he needed more salt, wouldn't he have acted sick?

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
how big is the tank your puffers are in? gsps need 30 gallons per fish. if your tank was too small, one may have stressed the other one out enough that it died.

are they in brackish water? also, what do you mean by perfect parameters for your water? nitrites and ammonia at the very least should be posted if you actually expect people to be able to help you pinpoint your problem
I had one puffer in a 20 gallon. I had all intentions of upgrading to a 40 gallon this spring but was waiting for him to get a little bigger. I made sure to be some decorations in the tank, and I move them around often to make things interesting for him since I know GSP's get bored.

Ammonia was at 0 and nitrite was at the lowest indicator on the chart which I believe is 5 ppm.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
It sounds to me like the Nitrite is what did it. Puffers of all types are especially vulnerable to ammonia and nitrite in the water. You should only put them in well established tanks.

Good job with the salt... I'm glad it was just the wrong forum.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Are you sure it was the nitrIte that was 5 & not nitrAte? ANY amount of nitrIte is extremely toxic. It sounds like you were taking good care of him so it's hard to believe you'd have nitrite that high, unless there was rotting food somewhere--maybe something inside the castle? What was your water change schedule?

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
It sounds to me like the Nitrite is what did it. Puffers of all types are especially vulnerable to ammonia and nitrite in the water. You should only put them in well established tanks.

Good job with the salt... I'm glad it was just the wrong forum.
Last night I was sooo tired! This flu has kicked my butt! Nitrite was at 0, as well as the ammonia. I thought the lowest reading on my Nitrite card (API liquid test kit) was 5 but I was wrong. That's what I get for being lazy. The color was blue which is 0.

Sammysaddiction

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
Are you sure it was the nitrIte that was 5 & not nitrAte? ANY amount of nitrIte is extremely toxic. It sounds like you were taking good care of him so it's hard to believe you'd have nitrite that high, unless there was rotting food somewhere--maybe something inside the castle? What was your water change schedule?
I cleaned the tank out completely today. There was nothing dead or rotting in there. I did a 50% water change every 3 days religiously. If he made a particularly big mess then I would do 75%.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store