Dwarf Seahorses?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
So I have a 5.5 gallon aquarium laying around, and I LOVE seahorses and would love a pair or two. I don't imagine it'd be too expensive to keep up, being a small aquarium and all, but is it? I'm scraping by right now. Also, how difficult is it? I find some sites saying they're difficult, others saying they're easy. Also, the only kind of sponge filter I am aware of is the kind hooked up to an airline, and this is always noisy in my experience. Is there another way to filtrate the tank? And what kind of substrate do they like?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
are u new to sw?

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
No I've kept a 65 gallon reef aquarium.

FindingBlemo

I ♥ Angelfish!
Jul 2, 2009
Black Diamond, WA
The hardest part about that is finding them then.
Also, they need a lot of macro algae to hang on to, or live rock like Tonga with branches. Calerpa, or Red Grape algae is their favorite.

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
The hardest part about that is finding them then.
Also, they need a lot of macro algae to hang on to, or live rock like Tonga with branches. Calerpa, or Red Grape algae is their favorite.
I know they need something to hang on to... I witnessed an order of seahorses at the LFS I used to work at totally destroyed because some idiot put them in the tank that output to the filter, with nothing to hang on to. They were all sucked into the filter and dying within minutes.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
so sad...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
All are protected and are illegal to collect from the wild. This species is readily tank-raised, however.

Actually, smaller tanks are ideal for this species, since you can keep the food density up and do larger water changes easily.

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I think I'll go for it once I get a job. :)

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store