How do I start aquarium plants from seeds?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gerystuart

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2010
Hello..
We just bought a beta fish for our daughter. I got a package of 3 aquarium plant seeds from the store as well. However, it didn't have any starting instructions? do I plop the seeds in the water? do I plant it in the rocks in the aquarium? do I start it in dirt? I have no idea..Our sons friends said to put the seed in the aquarium and it would sprout roots--its been a week- we are changing the water.The beta is fine the seed.. not so fine.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I would plant them in the substrate. Maybe go as far as to pick up some root tabs...

NYCguppydude

Guppy Addict
Dec 14, 2008
NYC,NY,10034
wildguppystore.com
Real Name
Andy G.
NO!!NO ROOT TABS!!At least not yet. THERE are NO ROOTS!! Do you have lights? Are the lights adequate enough to grow plants? Either way it kindda doesn't matter. What you have are not seeds but dormant plants in a "bulb" stage. Most likely "Aponogetons" or purple "Water Lilly's". Those are what most chain stores carry. Just be patient they will start to grow some roots soon,as soon as you do see roots then you can place INTO the substrate(plant it). As soon as you see "tiny little green leaves" then provide plenty of light. Or as much as you can.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
This doesn't really belong in the marine section...as it is a FW question :)

This is surely what you bought, or something like it:

Since you have 3 of them, you may have lilies instead...they are bigger.

Take a look at this website:
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Decor%20Aponogeton.htm

Not the best site, but easy to follow. Just Google aponogeton bulbs for more info. Same growing info as lilies. If none of the bulbs sprout you might be able to take the "duds" back to the store and get another pack. Sometimes these are very old, I've had 4 out of 5 not sprout before. They should come with an expiration date, but they don't. In any case, if the store won't take care of it, the company says they will do some sort of refund/exchange...just follow the procedure on the box.

Just put them down in the aquarium for now, if they're going to sprout they eventually will. Lilies take longer than Aponogeton bulbs. What kind of light does your aquarium use? An incandescent bulb or a fluorescent tube? How many watts?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
its a betta, it probably doesn't have a light at all.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
you can put the tank near a window where it will get some natural light- but try and avoid any bad drafts this time of year, that won't be good for your beta. Keep an eye on the bulbs. If they get mushy throw them out, they are duds. They should eb firm. If they are still firm just wait and they will sprout. Don't put them in the substrate until you have roots. Just drop them in and let them hang out and DON'T fertilize at all.

steinrock

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
Gilbert Az.
I have a few in one of my tanks. Just drop them in.They will root themselvs aftter a week or so. They do need about 1 or 2 whatts of light per gallon. If its a small tank. a flor desk lamp can work well.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
You don't want to insert the bulb into the gravel until it sprouts. That way you know which way is up. You can put the bulbs in another container of water and wait until they sprout, then plant them exactly where you want them in the tank. That can also prevent any mold that results from a bad bulb from contaminating the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store