Anemone Acclimation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
I've got myself 2 anemones at the moment and I've had trouble on the last two Long tip anemones that I have tried and don't seem to do well. I did my normal 2 hour drip the first time though I have heard of people doing much longer so I set my drip tube valve a little tighter and left it for 5 hours the second time... The next day the anemones seem agitated and begin "shedding" or "puking" some mucus then slowly dying off by day 2-3. I noticed abit of cyano at the LFS this week but the anemones are still fine, the same batch.. They were in the LFS store tanks for a month before I purchased and I tried one 2 weeks ago and one last week when I got my lucky clownfish. I tested my water and the only thing that was above my moderate levels was my nitrates at 10ppm.

I noticed my flame reef lobster had eaten my little sponge that I purchased and caught him munching out on it several times so I was glad to figure that one out. But could he be the suspect? have they ever been known to take a bite or two out of anemones?

I've had him for awhile now and he's only ever attacked the sponge and all my other corals/anemones are fine untouched and he is quite weary of them.

Last edited:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Can we have a pic or 2?

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
The anemones are gone now, I fished the carcace of the last one out this morning and if you have ever seen a dying anemone the way it just sort of slowly melts away.. Thats how it looks after day 1.. let's go of the rock and dies.

I am waiting for a camera to take pictures of my gonorias purchased a couple weeks ago.. I will be posting them today and I will post photos of the other two anemones in my aquarium.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I don't think the lobster is to blame for the anemones. In this case, it is hard to pin down, but just from what you describe, I don't believe they were in that good of a condition to start with.

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
They were hosting clownfish and looked so good in the store.. I thought it would be a sure thing.. Could you give me some tips on how to find a nice healthy anemone, or signs of a sick one?.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It can be difficult, especially if the damage has already been done. In any case, I look for anemones that have fully attached to their respective preferred substate (even if it means taking a rock home for a little while), are full and open, mouths are firmly closed, no visible damage, and the column is full and firm. If the anemone is limp, it may be harmless (regular exchange of intracellular water, etc.), or it may be ailing. That's why it is important to observe over time like you did. Other than that, you just provide as best you can for the animal. Anemones are reasonably difficult to begin with. The terrible shipping and handling conditions don't help the fact that they are one of the highest failure rates in the hobby.

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
It is quite discouraging because the anemones I have been trying are 70$ each :) hehe plus the fact that I can't walk into a store without buying a bottle or prime or jug of carbs hehe. Can never have enough prime!

The mouths of these ones we're actually a little puffy now that you say it and the first thing to happen was the mouth would deteriorate then it would sag and fall over then rott away. I read in a book that for some anemones it is recommended to touch the tenticles to see how sticky they are and that would give you a good idea of how healthy the anemone is, though this was an ancient book from the library.

Robert04

Dec 31, 2008
Really? I treat my water before I ro/di it.. Is that innapropriate? I was advised to at my lfs when I purchased my RO/DI.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store