Question about adding a sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J_Vee

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
Hello All,

I have a 30 gallon FOWLR tank (Well established) . I was thinking about adding a sump inside the tank stand. Then I can get rid of all the stuff hanging off the back of the tank. Power filter, Skimmer, heater etc.

I have a few questions:
1. Are the regular water changes done in the sump instead of the tank?
2. Adding the extra H20 (in the sump) will likely help with H20 stability?
3. Who makes good aquarium sumps?

Thanks in advance for the help.

J_Vee

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Well #1- I always do mine from the sump
#2- Yes absolutely
#3- You do jus find the largest tank that will fit in the stand get 3 pieces of glass and silicone them in place, here are a couple examples

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Not sure location, so can't advise sump builder, but agree, they are not hard to make, and save $$.
Search a good overflow, I think the CPR's are supposed to be OK, some have back siphon issues.
I also have pics for ez sump if you plan that route.
On Wc's, I siphon from display, and I personally pump back into display, but some do pump into sump, but you need to be careful not to overflow sump.

J_Vee

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
Thanks for the help

It looks like with my current set up I will still need to have stuff hanging off the back of the aquarium to use a sump. I'm going to save up and get a predrilled larger aquarium and stand. I wanted to get the stuff off the back of the aquarium becasue the salt creep is eroding the drywall behind the tank.

J_Vee

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Would it be possible to drill you current tank? As long as it's not tempered glass, it could be drilled. Unfortunately, it would require emptying the tank to drill it. Then, you could install a DIY / custom overflow to move the water down to your sump.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I always siphon water from the display and pump water back into the sump. I can get away with that, though, since my sump is the same size as my display and holds plenty of water.

J_Vee

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
fsn77,

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to use the drywall issue as a springboard to get my wife to allow me a larger tank. :naughty:

J_Vee

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store