"Aquarium Moss Balls" ??? [Pic]

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BubbleE1

AC Members
Feb 8, 2010
I went to PetCo today and i saw this plant in the tank called an "Aquarium Moss Ball"

I know that isn't the correct name for the plant. I was wondering if anyone knew what the plant was and how big they get? Do they stay relively the same size? Or do they grow..and grow...and grow..and well you get the point. I didn't get one and i was also wondering if anyone has it and they're opinion on these :/
I have 1 male and 1 female guppy and my female will probably give birth soon ish and i was wondering if this would be god for fry as well. I have some guppy grass on the way in the mail. Would buying one of these "Aquarium Moss Ball"s be a dumb decision? or do they grow out?
If they stay relively the same size then i don't want one but if they grow huge, Then that would be cool to have.

Apparently they float and come attached to a string with an anchor.
Pic:

Does anyone know if this is free floating stuff like guppy grass and java moss tied up with fishing line, or attached to a balled up root and it grows like that??

O:

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
real moss balls don't float all the time. the big box stores near me have pretty much what you're explaining. what they do is take foam spheres (like a child would make planets out of for science class) and grow java moss on them. that's why they're anchored down, because the foam always floats unlike marimo balls. usually their tanks don't have the nutrients, light or co2 it takes to make a real marimo ball float. heck, they'd be lucky to keep java moss healthy for any amount of time.

at any rate what you're looking at is likely a marketing ploy to sell regular java moss for more than it's worth... or to get it out of the store at all. don't buy it. you'll get much more and healthier in our marketplace for probably the same price. we have some reputable sellers here.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
It's java moss wrapped around a styrofoam ball.

:headshake2::headshake2::headshake2:

AHHAHAHHAHAHAH NOW THAT IS FUNNY

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
they should keep the tube plants arranged around the tanks with these things floating in them for s+g. if i worked there i'd work it out somehow and flip em' like hot cakes. :lipssealedsmilie::grinyes::Angel:

BubbleE1

AC Members
Feb 8, 2010
oh wow i would have never guessed! lol
thanks for the input guys! really helpfull!
i've been in the market for some java moss lately. Too bad they don't just sell regular java moss. i would be so tempted >>
even though the ball that i saw there was all brown :<
i'll probably buy from someone on AC but i set up a couple threads and i don't have very many people stopping in. :<

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
you may have to bump a thread a couple times. this time of year is hard also. not too many people buying/selling since the cold makes shipping many things a liability.

it's well worth it still though. often times the stores will have their stuff shipped in the same conditions that people get skittish for. we don't really think about that though since it's already there.

check the sale threads too. often times you find things you wouldn't expect. almost always a better deal than you'd find in a store also.

brown balls are bad... obviously.

BubbleE1

AC Members
Feb 8, 2010
yupp i know brown balls are bad XD they're practically dead @n@

oh i've been checking around all over AC. even in the chatroom :3 i've got 2 people sending me guppy grass and maybe 1 sending java moss now. :3
Is java fern called "Tropical fern" at petco? Because i looked for java fern there but i couldn't find it and then i saw something that looked just like it called tropical fern lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store