Blackwater extract, any good?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Is there any advantages or disadvantages to adding blackwater extract? I'm thinking about adding some to my tank to create the yellowish water condition. Any type of feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Absolutely do not do that! This will create the opposite water conditions than you are looking for in BW. It makes the water soft & acidic.

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
OOOOO!.... Thanks Pufferpunk, thats not what I need! The water in the tanks I have setup now is PH 8.2 and the GH & KH hardness is both above 600ppm! I know, I check all the water conditions several times a week.
Another question. Would 'Instant Ocean' be a good salt to use in the my brackish tank?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I don't understand why they would say that. It's for raising discus, angel, rams, neons & other softwater fish. I use Instant Ocean. I buy it by the bucket. Are you fishless cycling your tank? Have you decided on what fish you'll have?

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Yes, I'll be fishless cycling my tank. I've been reading the different articles on the web from everybody that left links at my other posting. I plan on having Scats and Monos'. I would like to have Bumble Bee Gobies, but am afraid that they are too small and will be eaten by the other fishes. Pufferpunk, you also answered my other question, I had asked in the Newbie Forum, if anyone recommoned Instant Ocean for thier BW tanks. Thanks again.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Just remember that scats grow into huge messy poop machines & monos are very skittish scooling fish. Read this thread: http://64.191.28.50/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1109

I was looking for another thread about how skittish monos were. if I find it, I'll let you know.

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
Originally posted by brackishwannbe
I plan on having Scats and Monos'. I would like to have Bumble Bee Gobies, but am afraid that they are too small and will be eaten by the other fishes.
just wanted to chime in.

I have 5 monos (6"+) with 7 BB gobies. I was worried at first, but was forced to combine 2 tanks when one of them cracked. maybe it's the bright colors that are natures warning sign that keeps them monos uninterested in my BBGs, but they are doing fine together in my tank.

in the long run they are not suitable tankmates as the monos will eventually require full marine conditions, but in the mean time they are a nice little addition.

as always YMMV.

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
oh...

and my monos were VERY skittish when i first added them to my tank as juvies (<2") but soon adapted to their suroundings and become very secure. I have a heavily planted tank for them. plastic of course.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store