Got Dark green and intense yellow shrimps???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elmotick

AC Members
Feb 8, 2006
I am interest raising yellow and dark green (india) shrimp colonies.

Regarding yellow shrimps, I have noticed that the shades/intensity of yellow varies a lot from various pictures that I have seen. To achieve a intense yellow colony, do I need to cull the lighter colored yellow shrimps and only allow the more intense colored shrimp to breed? Will get more intense yellow shrimp to start the initial colony better my chances?

Regarding dark green shrimps (not Caridina Babaulti), I have seen a lot of people selling Caridina Babaulti green shrimp but not the dark green shrimps (from India). My understanding is that the dark green shrimp stay dark green at all times unlike the Caridina Babaulti. Are dark green shrimp uncommon in our hobby? Does anyone have a striving colony here? If so, can you please share some pictures and knowledge on these shrimps?
:worthy::help2:
Thanks for any information in advance!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
the dark green are caridina babaulti (which are from India). There are tons of colors out there. The majority of the solid babaulti available are green. Even when I kept the ones labeled as simply "dark green", there was a range to the greens. The females usually get very dark and the males are lighter.

berried greeen babaulti edit.jpg

big snow pics, nerites, shrimp, fish 053.jpg

green shrimp.JPG

berried greeen babaulti edit.jpg big snow pics, nerites, shrimp, fish 053.jpg green shrimp.JPG

elmotick

AC Members
Feb 8, 2006
Thanks for the info msjinkzd.

I had questions about dark green shrimps is because I read from Planet Inverts website that there are 2 distinct type of 'GREEN' shrimps.
1) Caridina sp. "Dark Green"
2) Caridina Babaulti sp "Green"

The Dark Green Shrimp does not change color whatsoever, unlike the "babaulti" species which is known to change color.

I am still a newbie with keeping shrimps so I want to learn as much as I can about this hobby.

Thanks!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
The only green species I have familarity and experience with is caridina babaulti, the indian green shrimp. I have purchased/imported both "dark green" and "green babaulti" from both asia and india and they have always come in as the same shrimp.

elmotick

AC Members
Feb 8, 2006
The only green species I have familarity and experience with is caridina babaulti, the indian green shrimp. I have purchased/imported both "dark green" and "green babaulti" from both asia and india and they have always come in as the same shrimp.

It looks like I may be chasing my own tail :duh:. From your experience, do the caridina babaulti stay green through out their life span. Do they grow and mature slower than other shrimps?

Thanks a bunch for the information! :cheers:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
yes, they do stay green throughout their entire life. They are quick to berry and have alot of babies at once but the babies are slower to mature than a neocaridina.

elmotick

AC Members
Feb 8, 2006
Thanks msjinkzd! I might hit you up for a dozen caridina babaulti when the weather get warmer...

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
yes, they are quite compatable with similar requirements for temperature and hardness as well. its why I originally started keepig them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store