B. rainbows!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

99Galant

Registered Member
Jan 6, 2004
south jersey
Visit site
okay i recently visited a fish store and they had a pair of Boseini (spelled wrong) rainbows in an asst. tropical fish tank! now they had all sorts of fish in this tank for $1.50 each! so seeing these green,yellow,blue,red, rainbows that usually sell for $8.99 i got both for my 30 brackish tank! my question is they have very faint color! they have been in my tank for three days and i have not seen to much of a difference! they are only 2 1/2 inches (still juv.)
will their color come with age or did i buy a pair that just won't have color? i mean i can see the color pattern already its just not as bright as the pictures or others i have seen! any info on enhancing the color or any info about the color - please share!

thanks in advance...

Joe

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
How did you acclimate them? Seldom are rainbows kept in BW in LFS. Could be stress from the sudden change. Rainbows will thrive in FW, as well, and are usually sold as such.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
How high is your SG? I think these would only be ok in low-end BW. Nothing over 1.005.

jtdecoff

Registered Member
Jan 15, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
B. rainbows colours

All you ahve to do is buy colour enhancing foods. The brand that i use with my ruby scat is Omega One Formula One MArine Pellet. These are sinking pellets, however they sell a flake food that has this super colour enhancing formula. Just get the packages that say SUPER COLOR ENHANCING or something to that effect, but ill tell you what my ruby scat is brighter red than i have seen in any pictures online or in books. She is almost neon red on her head and all throughout her body from these pellets. The only thing that these pellets have in them is a carotene additive that is completley natural and taken from carrot extract to enhance red colors . So hope that helps you.. there are other brands and they all have color enhancers, just make sure it says it on the package.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
There a few rainbow fish found in BW.
Boeseman's rainbowfish are rarely in BW.
Inhabits lakes which are situated at the headwaters of the Ajamaru River in Irian Jaya which drains into the Kais River eventually flowing to the Ceram Sea

BW Rainbows:
Melanotaenia nigrans Black-banded rainbowfish
Telmatherina celebensis Celebes rainbow
Marosatherina ladigesi Celebes rainbowfish

I have also seen N.G. Red Rainbowfish in BW.
I don't know if the will survive in BW. I have not seen anywhere stating that they are brackish.

99Galant

Registered Member
Jan 6, 2004
south jersey
Visit site
you guys are great help! they died anyway though! i keep my sg at about 1.008 - 1.010! i was mis informed bout them for bw! but you guys made it clear for me! thanks again! hope i can help all of you the way you helped me!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store