Planning: 55g planted Discus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MixtecoBlue

AC Members
Feb 16, 2010
Whitman, MA
I'm looking for advice on the best plants to use in my setup. It will eventually house one pair of discus (probably start with a few smaller fish to get a pair), 12-20 cardinals, 6 or so cories, and my 3 Ancistrus.

The tank is a 55g. It's lit by 110w PC. Substrate is flourite/gravel. I plan to use Flourish Excel daily, and root tabs. I prefer not to use liquids whenever I can get away with it, though I'm open to suggestions. Water is to be 6.6pH, mildly soft, 82F. I DO NOT plan to use CO2. Water changes will be 1 or 2 times weekly 50-90% depending on size/age of the fish I get.

Now, I know that larger swords tend to be everyone's 1st recommendation. I'm looking for advice on OTHER plants.

In 2 weeks, after I come back from some time away for work, I will be ordering a tankload of plants and filling it up.

Can anyone with experience in this type of tank tell me how they think the following plants will do in this tank?

Dwarf Sag
Water Sprite (already have it by the tankload)
Vals (jungle?)
E. tenellus
Rotala indica
Nymphaea sp.
Crinum "onion"

thanks,
Jeff

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store