My first saltwater tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IrishMak

Don't blink
Aug 20, 2007
NH, USA
I got it set up this weekend, and put about 30 lbs. of live rock in on Monday. It's a 29 gallon tank. I think it looks pretty good so far. I took a few quick pictures yesterday. I posted them to my LiveJournal this morning. Here:

http://2ndsoprano.livejournal.com/98355.html

So once it's settled in, what should I put in next? I know inverts go in first, but what would be some good things to look at? How many? Can I add a bunch at once or should I spread it out? And after that, what would be some good fish for this size tank? About how many could I put in? I know I want a clown. Yeah, everyone has them, but I liked Finding Nemo! LOL I'm new at saltwater, so I want to do this right so I end up with a really nice tank.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Here are some steps

Step 1
Check the tank for leaks
Step 2
Clean the tank with a solution of 1 tsp. pure bleach for every 5 gallons of water. Scrub the tank, plastic plants, decorations and rocks. Rinse everything thoroughly several times with clean water.
Step 3
Install the filtration system. Follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully since models vary in their installation.
Step 4
Wash the substrate thoroughly before you put it in the tank. Figure on 1 lb. of gravel per gallon the tank holds.
Step 5
Put the plants in, anchoring the bottoms in the substrate.
Step 6
Fill a large bucket with clean, dechlorinated water.
Step 7
Using a hydrometer (a device used to read how much salt is dissolved in the water), add salt. Your goal is a specific gravity between 1.020 and 1.023.
Step 8
Fill your tank with the saltwater, leaving about an inch at the top.
Step 9
Start the filter system.
Step 10
Add the heater and thermometer. Most marine fish do best between 75 and 80 degrees.
Step 11
Let everything run for at least 72 hours and get the temperature settings right and the water moving.
Step 12
Cycle the aquarium. A just-set-up fish tank lacks the bacteria that it needs to form a steady biological cycle.
Step 13
Add your fish when the chemical levels are all okay and the tank temperature is within suggested limits.
Step 14
Buy a powerhead. In saltwater aquariums, water movement is an absolute must. Be careful not to get one so big that it causes a whirlpool effect.
Step 15
Get a protein skimmer, which is a necessity for marine tanks. This removes organic debris from the water before it has time to convert to nitrates.
Step 16
Keep in mind that you'll also need an external water pump and possibly an air pump for your skimmer.

As for fish

If you like clownfish, that would be a good choice, same for small gobies. Royal grammas are pretty (not to be confused with bicolor pseudochromis) if you like purple and yellow. Firefish and cardinals are good too

IrishMak

Don't blink
Aug 20, 2007
NH, USA
One Week In

And the ammonia is starting to go down a bit! No sign of nitrites yet, but I expect that to change in a day or so. Good thing- I was getting "antsy"! :) Part of the problem, I suppose, is that I've got several well-established freshwater tanks and with the nicely active filter media I can use plus the amount of plants I can move to a new tank, I can get a freshwater tank cycled and ready to go in a few days. This waiting thing is killing me!! Especially since I walk thru the saltwater sections of every LFS I go into, and see all the stuff I could put in there! Probably should just stay away from them, but, really, who can do that???

It's getting there. Won't be long now. :dance:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store