Do you buy fish from Petco or Petsmart?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
A reputable LFS is about 25 miles away, which means that a round trip would take 3+ hours (I hate driving in this East Coast metro area!).

So, I've bought fish from Petco and Petsmart. So far I've been lucky - only one casualty. Whenever I visit either, however, I promise not to buy there because I usually see at least one dead fish in a tank.

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Here generally petsmart is better than petco, in my experience. But I agree that a LFS is a much better choice.

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
I never buy fish from Petco or Petsmart because one of the best lfs in Michigan (Preuss Pets) is just a thirty minute drive from my house.

No. I have to drive 100 miles one way to get quality fish. I use to have a PetsMart before I moved but it was like buying from a Ich Store that sold fish on the side. Support a quality LFS if you can. I make a weekend trip to buy fish, drive down early on a Saturday Morning and bring back some new additions. If you know what your looking for call around first.
Good Luck

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i've bought a few fish from big box stores around here and had all of them go through qt and main tank life just fine with no issues. i still have the two albino cories i bought from big al's last july and the lil jewel cichlid i rescued from being lunch for a large jewel at petcetera ended up moving a good ways across the province i live in to be rehomed to a more suitable tank. far as i know he is still doing well. have a little red wagtail platy from a friend that got it at petsmart about 8 months ago. all my other fish have come from smaller mom & pop style stores and i much prefer buying from the little guy!

you really do have to watch out buying from big box stores, and qt! qt! qt!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store