ACE::: frag question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Here is how I would break it down in cost if I were to buy those pieces around me.

1. Stylophora - $10
2. Favia - $10
3. Frogspawn Head - $5
4. Eagle Eye zoas - $10
5. Acans $15/$20/$15

Total would come out to about $85 for all those frags around me. Those are all very common frags/corals. Still, for your location and with added shipping cost $160 is a fair value for those and everything but the Stylophora are easy corals.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Prices quoted by Ace sound like reef club/private prices to me, that or he has one cool LFS!
For an online vendor, and shipped, that package sounds cool to me.
Our local LFS would charge alot more than that.
I see acans commonly sold for $10 a head or more, that fav at least $30, and green bird at least $30 as well.
$5 a head for frog sounds like private price too.
Local reef clubs are best for deals.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
^ I agree... But even privately, it's hard to get those kinds of prices around where I live. It's rare to see any Acan sell for less than $10 / polyp here -- plenty of places charge a minimum of $15 / polyp, with $30 / polyp not being unheard of. The only frag that could be had around here for the prices Ace listed are the Eagle Eye zoas (and that's about what I charge for them -- $1 per polyp, rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5).

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered them today and they will be on my doorstep tomorrow morning. In the past I would buy from my LFS but lately I have been seeing these cool corals that some of you have and I got the "WANTS". Thru some reading I am finding that these should be lower level corals and moderate water flow.my tank is 60x24x24. Some say to "hand feed with a baster" and some say to just turn off the power heads and pumps, letting the food fall to them. Any advice here would be appreciated. Also if these are "lower level" corals, what would make good upper level corals? I don't want all the beauty on the bottom 1/2 of the tank. Thanks again.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
I go to frag shows around me, they have them about every other month.. the prices I mentioned would actually be a little high for a frag show and really high for local reefer prices.

You have 4 T5's right? Higher corals would be something like Milliporas for your tank.

Edit: As far as the Acans, those and maybe the favia are the only ones I would hand feed if you want them to grow fast. Turn off flow and very gently put some mysis on their mouths and watch them gobble them up.

Oh ya, and I live in Cali, a couple hours north of LA which is where all the frag shows are.

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah, our local stuff is a bit cheaper than that, with some of it being much cheaper than that. We don't have any frag shows or even a formal club, but we do have a lot of generous folks.

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
yeah, the lighting is (4)T5s but remember we were talking about adding 2 more T5s. I just thought there must be something higher up instead of looking at live rock only. Oh yeah, some also say to feed in the dark or in dim lighting.
I almost forgot. Would I be smart to place these on some eggcrate and let them grow a bit before doing a solid placement in the tank?

I go to frag shows around me, they have them about every other month.. the prices I mentioned would actually be a little high for a frag show and really high for local reefer prices.

You have 4 T5's right? Higher corals would be something like Milliporas for your tank.

Edit: As far as the Acans, those and maybe the favia are the only ones I would hand feed if you want them to grow fast. Turn off flow and very gently put some mysis on their mouths and watch them gobble them up.

Oh ya, and I live in Cali, a couple hours north of LA which is where all the frag shows are.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Eggcrate isn't necessary, you can put the acans and favia on the bottom layer of your rocks or on the sand, most people put acans in the sand. Still it is a good idea not to mount them right away so you can watch them and get a feel for the lighting and flow they like best and move accordingly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store