Picasso triggerfish in a 75gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ranvan

AC Members
Feb 3, 2007
I have a 75 gallon that is currently FW. However, I have had a 120g SW for over three years and finally feel comfortable with adding a second one. My first SW is FOWLR but I will be adding corals to it.

As I look at my 75g, I am seeing the idea of a Picasso Triggerfish and maybe two more fish.

Questions....

Do I need a protein skimmer or can I use the AC110s (2) on it now? I will get oneif necessary.
Would live rock be necessary? I like the looks of it and will probably get it, but would I need alot? Instead of 75#, could I get by with half of that?
What fish could I put with the PT? I have a silver scat in my 120g who I am afraid will eat some corals, so he may be moved. Would he work?

Oh, is the PT the most pet like SW fish out there? I have a 120g with a couple of Oscars (plus Jack Dempseys, Jewelfish, Firemouth) and am looking for the equivalent in SW.

Advice? Ideas?

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
You are looking at a fish that could grow to 9 or 10 inches and your a 75. I know that when you search on the Internet, links are suggesting a 75 gal tank. Do take this in the correct way, your looking at a possible 9-10" trigger and when its full grown, it wouldn't take the fish much to swim from one end of a 75 gal tank to the other.

I use the AC110s (2) on it now
You wouldn't be talking about the Aquaclear 110 filter? If yes, you will be far better off to get yourself the best skimmer for this tank. LR is a huge beneficial for your tank, as well, when your tank is too house any number of tank mates, they must have a place where they could feel safe and secured.

I have a silver scat in my 120g
Even with the trigger your nothing too safe from it and the smaller the tank often have things happening where as much larger tanks one might get a way with certain things for a while. Also, the silver scat grows some 15-16" in the wild, so make that number just a little less to 12" or so, in other words fella, leave them in your 120.

Buddy

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
You would have to go with tank mates that are on the aggressive side. I have a trigger with a couple of damsels, a tomato clown (which is another species of damsel), a yellow tang and a squirrel fish. They all get along great. No aggression toward each other at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store