question about refugium and macro algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

masterchef518

AC Members
Feb 6, 2006
well like the title says i have some questions about macro algae and refugiums i have a 29g tank with out a sump right now i dont have the money to build one its a glass tank and i dont want to drill in to it, so back to the topic, i have a marine land hob filter with out the bio wheels, i am wondering if its possible to turn one side into a refugium and grow some macro algae, also what are the different types of macro algae?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
You could always use one of the hang-on overflows to get water into a sump. You don't have to spend a lot of money on a sump, either. It can be as complex or as simple as you'd like. Mine is just a 40g rubbermaid tub.

Anyway, the macroalgae I recommend the most in your particular situation (and in most situations) is Chaetomorpha. There are other desirable species out there, but they are more demanding than Chaetomorpha. I'd steer clear from Caulerpa altogether.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Not a fan of Caulerpa, Amphi? I like it well enough, although it is definitely important to keep it out of the display tank. I keep Chaetomorpha, leafy Caulerpa, and the green "grape" Caulerpa all together in our refugium.

masterchef518

AC Members
Feb 6, 2006
yea ive looked lokked at the hob over flow boxes to to drain the water in to the sump but like i said i dont have much money to spend so i just figured if i could work with what i have that would be great, i read on a biocube site (which i have a 14g biocube also) that they create regugiums in the seccond chamber using some under water led lights to grow the algae

meera

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2009
Amph - would you mind giving me the details to your 40g sump made out of a rubbermaid tub? I, too, do not currently have a sump - only a HoB protein skimmer - and do not wish to drill as my tank it already up and running.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Amph - would you mind giving me the details to your 40g sump made out of a rubbermaid tub? I, too, do not currently have a sump - only a HoB protein skimmer - and do not wish to drill as my tank it already up and running.

Not too many details about it. It's literally a Rubbermaid container I found at the local hardware store. I crammed it beneath my stand, dumped water in, some rock rubble, put the drain into it, placed my protein skimmer (later a algal turf scrubber, too) and that's it. My tank is drilled, also, but one of the hang-on overflows is fine.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Not a fan of Caulerpa, Amphi? I like it well enough, although it is definitely important to keep it out of the display tank. I keep Chaetomorpha, leafy Caulerpa, and the green "grape" Caulerpa all together in our refugium.
Nope :D. It's finicky, especially if not pruned regularly, invasive, and secretes a small suite of phytotoxins.

meera

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2009
About how much would you say the entire sump set up of yours cost you?

joyze1

AC Members
Apr 29, 2004
Wausau, WI
Visit site
I have made a sump out of a rectangle fish tank (Free) someone gave me. I used old windows (free) for baffles and some aquarium silicone ($3) to attach them. Waited 24 hours, in the end I had 3 compartments (skimmer, return pump and refugium.) Used over flow box with flex tube (home depo) to PVC w/valves that connects to the sump. That way I could adjust the flow.

The Rubbermaid style sounds awesome and easy too.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
OP, I have actually done what you are thinking w/ an aquaclear HO.
I used a little bit of LR rubble, and chaeto(I strongly advise chaeto over other macros, especially calerpa, which can easily go sexual if not lit 24/7 and can become a serious headache)
Nutrient export will be little, but better than nothing.
I mainly did this on mine for pods and such.
When you have $$ keep your eyes peeled for a HO fuge, CPR makes a nice one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store