Common pleco bristles?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I was in walmart earlier, and looking at the fish noticed many of the pleco's had bristles. Do common pleco's get bristles? these looked large for BN plecos (although I have never seen a full grown BN before) and only had short bristles, but they definitely looked like what I have seen on BN plecos.

Was just wondering if walmart had BN plecos, or if it was commons with bristles.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
LA Pic

p.s those arent my hands lol...imma dude
Female albino bristlenose plecostomus.
LA Pic
Male bristlenose plecos have ridges down their snout. Females do not.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I was in walmart earlier, and looking at the fish noticed many of the pleco's had bristles. Do common pleco's get bristles? these looked large for BN plecos (although I have never seen a full grown BN before) and only had short bristles, but they definitely looked like what I have seen on BN plecos.

Was just wondering if walmart had BN plecos, or if it was commons with bristles.
Can you give us a size estimate?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
As far as I know, common plecos don't grow any kind of bristles. Maybe they just didn't put the whole name down....commmon (bristlenose) pleco. The albinos and brown bristlenoses are also called common bristlenoses. But no relationship at all to a common pleco.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
when walmart sold fish here I was blessed enough to by as many common plecs with bristle's as they had because the resale value of them was great paid 2.99 and sometimes got in the 20 value when trading them off

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks for all the replies, these were probably in the 4-5" size range, listed simply as "algae eaters" maybe they were just adult BN's. The last 2 BN's I had never grew very large, probably not even 3" so I have not actually seen an adult.

If only I was employed I would have bought some, since I have an empty 29G waiting for something to go in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store