Chromis question (red bump)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snowman100

AC Members
Oct 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I noticed a red growth on my Chromis. It looks like it under the skin and now coming out like a pimple..

Can anyone tell me what this is and should I be concerned?

Thanks.... !

IMG_4088 (2).JPG

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Hard to say what it is. For now, as long as the fish is acting normally, eating, etc., then just keep a very close, sharp eye on it. If the fish is visibly ailing and not eating, then I would try a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment in a quarantine tank as the first measure.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Is it open at all? this could mean ulcer or red sore disease caused by bacteria.

Keep an eye on him for signs of illness.

You could treat the water with a round of Melafix (recommended).
It would be safe for all your fish and could help heal the bump if it is something that can indeed heal.
It's also good at treating bacterial infections just in case he has one.

If it doesn't go away, it's more than likely a cyst or tumor.

If it doesn't go away and you already treated with melafix and he begins to show signs of illness, treat with a bacterial infection medication.

let me know how he does - I'm hear if you have any other questions or concerns as well.

snowman100

AC Members
Oct 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Well, he didn't last long. I went to Big Al's and picked up some medication and was going to quarantine the little guy, but when I checked last, he had died...

Got him out before the others had their chance with him.

Thanks for the comments..

My Chromis seem very fragile.. I'm going with a Clown this time..

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
sorry about your loss dude, good luck with the clown

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Dont know how long you had this chromis, but it seems like common symptoms observed from fish recently unpacked from transhipping.

Never medicate main tank with any med especially with LR/Inverts.

I personally dont have much faith on Mela/Pima on f/w, definitely none for s/w.

If decided to treat main tank, Should shutoff skimmer and remove L/R and Inverts until treatment is completed and main tank water is well skimmed and/or chemically adsorbing resins are used along with necessary pwc after the treatment in order to remove any remaining residues from treatment.

Before buying any fish, always ask how long they had the fish in store. Especially s/w fish due to how they are packed and shipped and new fish should be given ample to adjust to new enivornment (water and & captivity) before selling to public but unfortunately such procedures usually are not followed by lfs. Thus ask before spending money.
One can ask lfs to feed "tiny" amount of food in which you can determine alertness of fish. Make sure it is tiny bit as they can throw up all the food while being chased to be bagged or in the bag on the way home, which also can pose threat to health of new fish.

Good Luck with new Fish whichever you choose to go with.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Dont know how long you had this chromis, but it seems like common symptoms observed from fish recently unpacked from transhipping.

Never medicate main tank with any med especially with LR/Inverts.

I personally dont have much faith on Mela/Pima on f/w, definitely none for s/w.

If decided to treat main tank, Should shutoff skimmer and remove L/R and Inverts until treatment is completed and main tank water is well skimmed and/or chemically adsorbing resins are used along with necessary pwc after the treatment in order to remove any remaining residues from treatment.

Before buying any fish, always ask how long they had the fish in store. Especially s/w fish due to how they are packed and shipped and new fish should be given ample to adjust to new enivornment (water and & captivity) before selling to public but unfortunately such procedures usually are not followed by lfs. Thus ask before spending money.
One can ask lfs to feed "tiny" amount of food in which you can determine alertness of fish. Make sure it is tiny bit as they can throw up all the food while being chased to be bagged or in the bag on the way home, which also can pose threat to health of new fish.

Good Luck with new Fish whichever you choose to go with.
why dont you believe in melafix?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I believe in specific meds for specific diseases to my best ability. Another word, pharmacokinetics of meds, not that I remember much.

I have tried Mela/Pima when first introduced on the market to many disappointments.

Some may use as prophylactics but I dont even consider its use as prophylactic remedy since I believe there is nothing more important as Ideal Conditions for specific fish kept as best prophylactic.

Overuse or incrorrect use of meds will eventually render their ineffectiveness as pathogens can evolve to build resistance to meds with time.
Maybe not in our life time but again we are finding TB which have build resistant to antibiotic used for few decades.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'm not a big believer in Melafix or its counterpart, Pimafix, myself--at least not for marine systems. I tend to prefer as specific a medication as possible, depending on the info and the resources available. I've seen the above two products used with little to no effectiveness in many situations. Some still report good results, however, I don't know whether or not those results are actually attributable to the medications themselves.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I understand that it can kill off flat worms tho

;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store