What lights should I get for a 25 gallon, 20 inch deep tank for high light plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

raindog

AC Members
Feb 20, 2010
Those metal halides are not out of the question, but if I have to take the top off and elevate the lights I'm not sure if my tiger barbs will jump out or not. Or maybe another type of light? since it is 20 inches deep, should I get 4 watts/gal or 2-3? I dont want algae to be my main plant

raindog

AC Members
Feb 20, 2010
i want to grow the four leaf clover as a carpetish kinda thing, and cryptocoryne lutea..and those bushy tall plants that look like they have small pine needlish type leaves..and maybe some java fern as well as a moss to try and attach to my two pieces of drift wood that i have in there..the clover doesnt come until tues or weds in the mail...but i will try and send you a pic from my web cam for what i have in there right now..(dont have an SD card for my camera)...one plant in there is not aquatic but came on top of the drift wood from petsmart from some reason..right now i have two 14 watt bulbs on a 25 gallon tall tank..will try and send the pic

raindog

AC Members
Feb 20, 2010

the pic of my lousy and laughable tank.. that is my tank as of now with 28 watts in a 20 gal tank...to the left of the tank is where my clover is gonna go from the back and along the front to the first 1/3 of the front..but i have no skill in aquascaping...so a suggestion would be nice too...lol..i look at this tank and see the glorious other tanks..and im far behind the curve as of now..but im working on that..the plant on top of the driftwood is gonna die b/c i believe that is a non aquatic plant...that is a web cam pic too so sorry for the quality :(

Last edited:

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
pull that anubias up out of the gravel some. the rhizome can't be buried it'll kill the plant.

raindog

AC Members
Feb 20, 2010
i just did pull it up some...dont know what a rhizome is..but all the root looking things are sticking out now

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
rhizome... leaves grow out the top... roots grow out the bottom. kinda looks like a deformed green tree trunk on it's side and cannot be buried. roots should be fine in the gravel if you wish.

raindog

AC Members
Feb 20, 2010
mgamer, yea i agree..they are just 14w flouresent lights..two of them..6700k T5..i researched all afternoon today and found out a ton of information about what i wanna do

dundadundun, i researched the rhizome and infact my was buried..i unburied it..however, the speciman that i purchased has extremely small roots and i cant really bury them without burying the rhizome, so the roots are just kinda touching the gravel and i pressed them down as much as i could without burying the rhizome...so the anubias grows outwards rather than up right?

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
well worst case you can put bigger bulbs in there. no need for a new fixture. i would check out this site for a idea of what plants you want. http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php personally i would stick with the lights you have and work around it. you can use wood or rock to tie the anubias down too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store