Festivums, Rams, and Kribs, Oh My!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
I went to the fishstore today and I saw alot of awesome fish. After looking today I'm not really sure If I would want rams. I also found some other cool fish. Here is soem ones I found that I like. Would any of them work in a 10 gallon?

Cherry Barbs(I really like these)
Green Barbs
Gold zebra danios
Serpae Tetras(I think that is how you spell it)

Now I have some questions on some other fish I saw.
I saw some really great looking festivums. I like these the best out of any of the smaller cichlids Ive seen so far. The guy said that they only get about 3 1/2 inches full size. Is this true?
Now I also saw some kribs or atleast I think they are kribs. There was a guy looking at them and talking to an employee. The employee said they were apistos but the guy looking at them said he has kept them and they are kribs. Well I started talking to that guy and he seamed real knoledgeable about cichlids. Anyway those fish do like just like kribs but the only thing is they are albino or all white and some of them had a bright pink on their bellies which the guy sadi were females. Is there a such a thing as an albino krib?
Please help me if you can witht he fish I have listed. Thax for any replys. Have a good day!

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
Yes, there is such a thing as an Albino Kribensis. If you want to breed them, they may not breed true. I mean it's very possible you will get both normal and albino kribs. That happened to me until I continued breeding different offspring to the parents and finally did get a pair that had nothing but albino babies.

Festivum can reach 6" so I don't know where that guy got his information. Also Green Tiger barbs and Serpae tetras are a bit nippy; be careful.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Thanx for yalls replies. So I guess the festivum wouldnt work. Ah well. This is what im thinking on as of now.

2 rams or 2 kribs
4 cherry barbs
2 dwarf gouramis or 2 paradise fish
3 cories

It really depends on how much money I have after christmas on which fish I get and ofcourse It greatly depends on weither or not I get the tank and for a few different reasons I think I most likely won't get it but I am just being prepared if for some miracle I do get it. Wellt hanx again!

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
I would leave out the 2 dwarf gouramis or 2 paradise fish and add 2 more cherry barbs. That would be about it I would think. The cherries would be happier and show better colours. They may even breed for you as they are a very easy fish to spawn. You will want to feed them sparingly as it is a really small tank and any mistakes will be magnified and could go bad fast.
Z Man I talked to a zoologist from the Toronto zoo on just this topic. I always thought that albino to albino would give 100% albino. He says in the case of the Kribs and a few other fish, the gene for albinism is found on different places of the DNA chain. That is how it is possible to breed two albinos and not get albinos. While I understand the principle now that it has been explained to me I was never the less shocked to learn this. Seems a simple pundits square will not work for this trait. Just thought you might find that as interesting as I did.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
I found out that the albino kribs at the store im looking at are only $3.99! So if they still have some and if I get the tank, those will be my choice.

2-3 kribs
6 cherry barbs
3 cories

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store