Upgrading from a 75 to a 220

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shime24

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
Round Lake, IL
Well....Here I go again! I just ordered my 220 gallon tank.I got what I believe to be a killer deal on it 950 w/ tax and glass lid plus a $220credit at the LFS to put towards live rock or livestock. It will be here in a week. I am now shoping around for the right protein skimmer and the right pump to put in my sump.
I am going to be making my 75 gallon tank into my sump..any suggestions on where to get good info on making the tank into a sump..
I am also debating if I should install a R/O system in my basement.
I am also wondering if I should go with sand or stick with my CC.
Any advise would be great! thanks alot. I am looking forward to starting my journey in my larger tank!

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Absolutely get a good RO/DI, cause you're going to be making alot more water for WC's.
And ditch the CC for sure, nitrate sink.
There are so many good skimmers out there now days, just seek a deal and check in before buying.

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
You should be able find plenty of designs on designing a sump.
Basically, you want to create three separate compartments: One for water to enter from an overflow, the second (middle part) would serve as a refugium ( a place to help control nitrates) or just as a place to hide heaters, and then a return section.
You create the different compartments using acrylic sheets you can get at Lowes or Home Depot and then glue them into the sump to be used as "baffles." Usually you have to put six in - to create the three compartments. You want the water to flow under the first baffle, over the second, and under the third to limit microbubbles from entering the main tank (or is it over, under, over; I forget what I did :)) Anyway, you can Google "aquarium sumps" and it should give you all kinds of suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store