cycling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

natalie123

AC Members
Feb 21, 2010
If i am going to buy a puffer fish from the pet store that lives in freshwater, i am going to bring it home an put it in my freshwater tank and then change it over to BW gradually. my question is, since i am putting the puffer in freshwater, would i have to cycle the water in my tank differently than i would with BW, besides not adding any salt?

also does anyone have any suggestions on what ammonia to use to cycle my tank if i wasn't going to use fish to cycle it?

sea-community

Love-to put more Life, into my life
Jul 7, 2009
Redway, California
i would do some more research on the puffer fish you are wanting to buy before you get actually get it.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni

natalie123

AC Members
Feb 21, 2010
i am thinking of getting a GSP.

i just want to make sure i have all the facts of how to cycle the water and take care of the fish before i buy it.

also what type of filter would you recommend. i have a 45 gallon tank it is very long, 48" should i put 2 filters one on each side, or would one be enough, i know puffers need a lot of filtration and water changes, just want to make sure i get a very good filter for them.

natalie123

AC Members
Feb 21, 2010
also i read something about "Instant Cycle" on one of the links about puffer fish...would you recommend using that or just cycling by ammonia?

TSI431

Registered Member
Feb 23, 2010
It will take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks to cycle your aquarium, unless you are already using a cycled freshwater tank.

If you already have a fully cycled freshwater tank you can raise the salinity by .002 every couple of weeks until you get to the salinity of your choice. Raising it any higher will likely kill your bacteria in your tank. But this will more then likely kill any freshwater fish you have in the current tank so they must be moved.

If you are starting from scratch, you mind as well get your tank to the salinity you want immediately and go the ammonia route (fishless). Once again, this will take some time, do not put any fish in at this time, especially puffers. Buy your test kits, (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) and a hydrometer and make sure you do it right. Or you will have a dead puffer in a few days.

Make sure you use marine salt, not aquarium salt.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store