Another stocking question, 15 gallon needs fishies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Well, have the 15g (12x12x24) on the bar top, setup for general tropical fw. Tank decor is black gravel, a grey/green root deco, and the typical imitation plants(for now), with midnight blue backing, kind of the 'cool' tank.

Right now it has 3 panda cory and one little cherry shrimp. I got two danios filling in for fish right now(the typical utility fish). They will go back down into the 26.

I kind of want general easy care community fish, but something cool.

I was thinking up some scenarios

-female betta as a feature fish, maybe more RCS to crawl around, and a couple something-or-others(guppy or platy) and/or another killifish pair. Will intro the betta with the dianos in there so she's used to other fish being around.

-Maybe a golden ram and, what? more cherry shrimp and a killifish pair??(yes I love those things)

-or, a celestial danio group and a gorami?

Not to big a fan of boring a** tetras (other then rummynose for the lower tank).

The lower tank is platy/molly the schitzo 'fun' tank, kinda want a 'cool' tank above it, but nothing too taxing.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Oh, and one other thought, an all nano-fish tank

Say, celestial danios 5-7, dwarf pygmy cory cats(3-4) some RCS, and a sparkling gorami, dwarf platys...so it kinda looks like a mini 55gal tank. Maybe even a least killifish :y220d:

Lowryder

AC Members
Feb 16, 2010
Dirty Jerzey
I am setting up a 15g for my wife(she picks the fish and I take care of them lol), and we came up with 3 stocking ideas.

1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Neon Tetras
4 Pygmy Cories

1 Dwarf Gourami
5 Cardinal Tetras
8 Amano Shrimp

#3(our favorite)
8 Amano Shrimp
5 Cardinal Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Bentos Tetras

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
I am setting up a 15g for my wife(she picks the fish and I take care of them lol), and we came up with 3 stocking ideas.

1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Neon Tetras
4 Pygmy Cories

1 Dwarf Gourami
5 Cardinal Tetras
8 Amano Shrimp

#3(our favorite)
8 Amano Shrimp
5 Cardinal Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Bentos Tetras
From that I would go with
1 dwarf gorami
4 pygmy cory cats
5-6 rummynose tetras
3-4 amano shrimp(or cherries)

The only time I like cardinal/glowlight/neon tetras is when they're in a 100+ gallon tank with about 40 so they swim in schools(and you can tell they're doing it). Otherwise they just hover around, maybe nip at each other if they are 'active'. Rummynose REALLY school tight, and actually move around... And I can't think of not having cories anymore :p

As an aside, I got the one RCS and he just sat around for a few days, now that he's comfy he's trucking around the tank more then the cories, he even climbs over them. I definitely found a new creature that I like, need MORE!

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Honey gourami stock tends to be much healthier these days than dwarf gouramis, they're smaller, and I think either harlies and a pair of honey gouramis or celestial pearl danios and a pair of honey gouramis would make an awesome small planted tank.

That said, many of the ideas above would be great as well.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
The celestials are darn pricey though, may go with emerald eye rasboras, they have a pygmy/nano species that are only 1" long. I'm kinda diggin the nanofish idea as I can get quite a variety of them and shrimp in a smaller tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store