marimo ball / moss ball

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
I just purchased a Marimo Ball from my lfs and I was wondering if anyone out there had any helpful hints, tips, or suggestions on care and growth past what I found on google. I tend to trust the real life knowledge and experience of members on here more than google. :grinno: thanks

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Drop them in the water, preferably in a current, make sure they get plenty of light and every time you do a water change make sure that they roll around.

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
ahhh ok thanks :D

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
There are three growth forms. One is epilithic (growing on rocks) and is usually found on the shaded side of the rocks. Another growth form lives as free-floating filaments, as small tufts of unattached filaments that frequently form a carpet on the muddy lake bottom. The third growth form is the lake ball proper, where the algae grow into sizable balls of densely packed algal filaments that radiate from the center. The balls do not have a kernel of any sort.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Like everyone says, it depends on how you want them to grow.

They can be trained like moss to grow on rocks and wood. They can be left sitting still and turned from time to time. Or they can be in high current tanks making an entertaining display of rolling around the place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store