My Java Moss Carpet Method For Impatient People

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Madison

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Hi everyone! I’m new to this site as well as planted tanks. I’ve fallen in love with all your tanks and have decided to plant mine. To start I’m staying low light and have a good selection of low light plants including Java Moss. I discovered something by accident that I hadn’t’ read anywhere concerning moss carpet mats.

1. I placed a thin layer of java moss between two needle point mats.

2. The holes seemed too small, so on the upper piece I made them larger leaving the sheet with the smaller holes on the bottom.

3. Using fishing line I tightly sewed the top sheet to the bottom all around the edges and a few places in the center. I wouldn’t say they were smashed but were pretty tight….actually they were pretty smashed. I felt maybe I shouldn’t have sewed them together so tight but as it turned out that was probably best.

4. I tied a few rocks to the bottom of the matt to weigh it down and waited.

After about 2 weeks the moss was just starting to come through the holes in a few places. I rearranged my tank and realized my mat wouldn’t fit. Since I was getting tired of looking at that ugly mesh with just a few strands of moss poking through, I decided to give it up and wrap a few rocks with the moss.

I took the mat apart and what I found was that although my moss had not grown up outside of the mat, it had been very busy growing together within. What I had was a perfect sheet of moss carpet/fabric that held together. I cut some of it to wrap around rocks. They were covered by a nice thin even neat layer. I had a good piece left over that I laid down near the driftwood on a little hillside. I found the moss without the plastic mat tended not to float as bad. I tucked one edge under the driftwood, another under a grouping of moss rocks and the outer edge I held down by a few small rocks.

I’m no longer looking at that ugly mesh. This version is much more pliable. It’s very strong no pieces are breaking away. After a few days I should be able to remove the rock weights. It’s beautiful. I have this soft grassy little hillside leading up to my driftwood where more moss is growing. I don’t think I could have achieved that look with the stiff plastic sheets. This moss carpet follows the lay of the substrate very well. It just looks so much more natural. If I had laid my gravel down flat and even the plastic mats would have probably worked fine but I’ve got high and low spots.

I think with my low light it would have taken a long time to cover that mesh evenly if ever. I read many articles and watched a few videos about making moss carpets. No one ever mentioned that the mats could be opened and the moss removed. If your making a moss wall I can see where the plastic mesh could add stability. If you need large, pliable even sheets of moss to cover driftwood, rocks, substrate etc. you should give this method a try. just be sure to remove the mesh before the moss gets too firmly attached to it. Two weeks seemed to be perfect the sheet of moss was easily pulled away from it’s mesh frame in one large tightly woven piece. In fact the sheet within the plastic mesh was greener than the moss I had under a hairnet on my driftwood.

I’m hoping I will be able to lift out the piece in one mass for trimming later. It will most likely take some gravel with it but I‘ll work that out later. I didn’t get too carried away and just did a small area near the driftwood. I am new to this so we’ll see.

When I saw that nice even thin sheet of moss fabric I had to share. Maybe this is something many of you have already discovered but with all my searches I haven’t come across this method. I’ve seen moss just anchored down in clumps which imo looks messy, I’ve seen moss tied to slate which can only lay flat or at angles and I’ve seen the plastic mesh method which is too stiff and buoyant for my needs. I’ve gotten exactly the look I wanted after only two weeks in a low light tank. Since all the moss was held flat and tight it has grown evenly and looks like a freshly cut lawn. Wish I had pictures but I’ve got no digital camera. Any advice/tips on trimming would be greatly appreciated.

Madison

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Sorry Linda I've got no pics. I made a video last night but unfortunately my camera is not digital.

I think most here are familiar with java moss mats. I did it the same way spreading out an even single layer of moss. I pressed mine together tighter than most I've seen. I didn't want that moss escaping.

Anyway I think pressing it tightly together for 2 weeks gave me this result. If you can picture fabric made of moss that's what I got. It reminds me of indoor/outdoor carpet. It's very much alive and green. Thin and pliable yet I can't see the gravel through it. I mean I wouldn't make a shirt out of it but it's tough enough to stand up to moving it around underwater and it takes the current from my filter just fine. It didn't come apart when I was wrapping the rocks with it. It's fairly strong. We'll see how well it holds up without it's mesh. Just an experiment I thought I would pass along.

Sorry we're working on getting a camera but I've spent all my money on my tank!

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Thats really cool Madison. Not just for impatient people, but maybe even for people with low light and warm water - two conditions that tend to make the moss stringy and spread out- now they have a way to force the moss into a dense carpet

oscartank

Geophagus and severums is my game
Jul 17, 2008
South Wales UK
my moss has never taken! ive spent about 20 pounds sterling tryin but no cigar! I believe my severums to be the problem! they will pull anything worm like until it breaks, ie cotton thread holding it down or any shoots growing. This losend the moss creating more moss strings and so on! Maybe try again if or when me sevs move on

Madison

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
No pics, It didn't happen :(
Take it however you want. Anyone should be able to do it if I did.

I'm only passing on something I discovered due to my impatience with my low light tank. Believe me I thought I had failed. I worked hard to sew that darn thing together and was disappointed when it wasn't growing out. I almost threw it away. I thought maybe others might be having a hard time with the moss carpets too.

It's a network of fibers grown together in a sheet with short strands of new growth on top. It had no other choice. I had it trapped tight yet there were holes for circulation/light and some upward growth. I'm talking needle point mesh really small holes. I think they were #7 although I did make the holes on top larger.

It's not a swaying field of grass but it's good solid ground cover with no holes. Imo it could be gently sewn together. I'm hoping with my low light growth will be slow so I won't have to trim as often. I like the look as is.

I want a moss bonsai tree next...we'll see what that morphs into.

Madison

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Who knows if it gets unruly maybe I can just smash it down again. I'm going to have to come up with an easier way of binding it. This is still a work in progress. I'll see what I can do about some pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store