water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

natalie123

AC Members
Feb 21, 2010
i have questions about water changes. any links would help.

when i go to add water back in what kind of conditioner should i buy for a GSP?

also when i do water changes should i take most of the water from the top or most of the water using the siphon threw the gravel etc.

also when i'm doing a freshwater cycling with fish, when do i know when to do a water change. is it just to lower the Nitrates after the ammonia and nitrites are set at zero? or it is throughout the whole cycling. and if it is throughout the whole cycling...how do i know when to change it...is it every couple of days?

natalie123

AC Members
Feb 21, 2010
also i was wondering what kind of nitrite/nitrate/ammonina tests i should get for cylcing the tank

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
I use Prime conditioner, and API liquid test kits.When you do a fish in cycle, you want to do a water change when you detect ammonia or nitrite, as they will kill your fish. Keep them as low as possible.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
OH NO, DON'T USE FISH FOR CYCLING!!! See my link on fishless cycling.

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
I agree do fishless cycle, its much better and safe. The first time I cycled a tank, the person who helped me at the lfs told me to buy goldfish to cycle but never really explained it to me. So I bought goldfish set them in the tank, set my filter, put biospira. And then there gills puffed up my fish lived but eventually died from I'm guessing high ammonia spikes. Anyway I also recommend the fishless cycle that way you don't torture your fish.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
If you already have the fish, I would go out and get some Dr Tim's One and Only to help cycle the tank faster. Tetra SafeStart is another one that may help, but I've heard that it's hit and miss. I've used it one time, and it worked fine with a slight nitrite spike that settled back to 0 after only a couple hours (had used it when moving a smaller tank and all contents into a larger tank, though).

When I do WCs, I try to gravel vac one half of the tank (moving decor to make sure that everything has been done. Once I'm done vacuuming, there is usually still some water left to drain (I usually do 50-75% water changes), and I try to catch debris that I missed or stirred up while doing that. The next week I do the other half of the tank. I think it helps not disturb the beneficial bacteria in the gravel as much as doing the whole tank all at once.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store