Leopard Ctenopoma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Niiice! Those things have huge mouths, hope you don't have any small fish in there! What do you feed him?

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Smallest fish in there are the Julii Cories.

The Ctenopoma eats Live Crickets when I can afford it :)

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
how much did these fish cost? I might want one

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
I've seen them in the vicinity of $15-20. Expensive for a freshwater fish, but not bad overall IMO.

The problem is finding them. I've only seen them in one place (Fishnook in Acton MA) and even there, I've only seen them there 2 or 3 times over the last 2 years.

Mine was quite small when I got him (maybe an inch?).

I've had him (Her?) for about a year and a half now. He's about 4.5 inches maybe a bit over now. As I read, In the wild, they will grow to a tad over 8 inches, but one kept raised in captivity will be lucky to see 6 inches.

These are a mediumly aggressive fish. They will hold their own against other likewise fish, eat anything that will fit in their mouth which is huge. He actually opens the wide mouth so wide so quick, prey is 'vaccumed' in. Rule of thumb is they could eat fish 1/3rd their size, which means no fish under 2" in the aquarium.

As long as you don't house them with any particularly shy or aggressive fish, you should be good. Also should note that include's gourami and betta's, they are all cousins, and don't get along together.

The Leopard Ctenopoma has a lot of personality, and IMO is the smartest in my tank (which would make sense as he is the most advanced predator in the tank and [common biological theme] the more advanced the predator, the more brain-power/wit they need.)

I love his camouflage pattern, especially how he evolved that large black dot next to his tale that immitates an eye. So to many other fish, they can't tell if he is coming or going. Devious.

I like to tell people, even when you don't see the Ctenopoma in the tank, he sees you, and is watching you. People scan over the tank very carefully until they see an eye poking out watching them from behind a bunch of plants.

For a good size fish, I'm amazed how easily he can disappear if he wants to.

I keep an anubia on a good sized piece of wood in my aquarium and that is the Leopard Ctenopoma's favorite spot to hang.

Last edited:

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
I am planning on getting one of these! I found them right at my local Petsmart for $10, they are only about 3-4" in the store, but I've heard they get pretty large. What kind of tank mates does he have?

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
See sig for current tankmates.

He has also been housed with others like praecox rainbows, killifish, platys with no problem.

I read about others housing them with the more peaceful of cichlids. Aggressive cichlid's are definate no.

Nothing it can eat (nothing under 2 inches), Nothing overly aggressive (like some cichlids), and some plants and driftwood and you should be fine.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great looking fishie!

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
If you want to see its true hunting nature come out feed it ghost shrimp. Mine curls like a leaf and sneaks his way over to the shrimp and then gulp it's gone. Here is my Ctenopoma, Bubba!

Aquarium 1020.jpg Aquarium 1034.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store