Quick question about Kuhli Loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Hi there,
I'm going to get some Kuhli Loaches later tonight and I just had a couple quick questions

1. I want to put them with 6 gold zebra loaches in my 55g...are they ok to share a tank with the gold zebras? (they're really wild zebras...constantly swimming and boy are they fast!)

2. I was reading the profile information for the Kuhli Loaches and I saw they liked a pH up to 6.8
The water in my tap comes out at 7.5 pH...will they be ok with slightly higher pH? If so I guess the standard slow and gradual acclimation as usual (float bag for 30 mins...add 5% water from tank to bag every 10 minutes...add fish only with as little water as humanly possible from the bag etc)

Thanks in advance,
Taylor

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
1. What species are the gold zebra loaches? I've heard that common name used for several species. They are likely Botia histrionica, and would be fine with the kuhlis. However, if they are another species, you will have to read up on them.

2. I keep my kuhlis in water that is 7.7 out of the tap, so you should not have an issue. I find most fish can tolerate a much wider pH range than they are given, as long as the pH is stable. Just acclimate them slowly, as you said.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Yah they look identical to the Botia Histrionica

One of them kind of looks like an angelicus loach too...he's much darker than the others and has much clearer defined pattern...I don't know if that means he's the alpha for their pack or what...the rest of them are kind of a duller brownish colour and he's very dark... and seems to kind of sit off by himself

While the others dance up and down the side of the glass lol

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
It could be that you have a B. kubotai too. If they are still young, it can be hard to tell them apart. As they age, they will take on the more distinctive adult patterns. Either way, they should be fine with kuhlis.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
^^What she said, lol. My histies are very active & personalable, love them! I don't keep them together, I'm not sure how the shier pangios will do, do you have a backup plan? My histies are gluttons.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
so far so good

The gold zebra loaches are freakin' WILD!
When the kuhlis went in the tank (all were fine except 1/6 was a little frightened and hid for about 20 minutes) they all started exploring and running the length of the tank

The gold zebras were very quick to join them in running the length of the tank...then the 2 baby clown loaches decided "aw what the heck...lets go for a swim"

It was so cool to watch

This morning when I fed them only 2 Kuhli loaches were visible (there was another eating behind the driftwood but I didn't want to freak them out more than they already are)

One thing I did notice which I'm not sure is normal...2 of the histrionicas were like sparring for a good 20 minutes this morning during feeding

Their colours were completely faded while this was going on and one would kind of back down for a minute...then the other would come back and peck at his side again

I know they need to find their pecking order etc...but this was pretty aggressive for 2 juvis...and the complete greying out I don't quite understand...are Gold Zebras different from Clown Loaches?

With the clowns usually the dominant one will fade and the other will cower and change to a darker shade...but both of them were so faded I couldn't even see the black in the colouration at all...they were almost like white lol

Other than that everyone seems happy and content...I'll be checking params daily for the next week or so cuz I really don't want any issues with this tank

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The fighting sounds perfectly normal for botias. My histies didn't fight at all until recently. They were a bit different than the usual head to tail circling fights, more vibrating with heads down, weird.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Ok that is exactly what I'm seeing also...thanks for putting my mind at ease while I'm at work all day lol

I'm just wondering constantly if they're still fighting etc

If the Kuhlis are ok...are the baby clowns getting along with the other loaches? lol

Thanks a bunch as always...you're always more than helpful

And thank you Biomajorstudent

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Glad everyone is doing well! I agree with foshorama, the fighting sounds normal. It may look a little violent, but if you have ever seen cats play, even THAT can look like attempted murder. They will work out a hierarchy, don't worry.
I would love to see some pictures and/or video of your loaches!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store