SeaWorld trainer killed by whale

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
SeaWorld trainer killed by whale in Orlando

A SeaWorld Orlando killer whale looks on at the Shamu show in Orlando, Fla., Wednesday, March 29, 2006. (AP Photo/SeaWorld Orlando, Richmond Gibbs)

CTV.ca News Staff
Date: Wednesday Feb. 24, 2010 4:25 PM ET
A SeaWorld trainer in Florida was pulled into the water and killed by a whale Wednesday afternoon just as a public show was about to begin.
Local news reports say a female employee at Shamu Stadium in Orlando had just told the audience what they were about to see when one of the whales leapt out of the water, grabbed her by the waist and thrashed her around in the water.
Victoria Biniak told Orlando's Local 6 news that she witnessed the attack, which she described as "violent" from the stadium's viewing area.
"The trainer was explaining different things about the whale and then the trainer that was down there walked away from the window," Biniak said. "Then (the whale) took off really fast in the tank and he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing (her) around."
Biniak said the trainer was shaken so violently that one of her shoes flew off during the incident.
According to Biniak, sirens immediately sounded at the stadium and spectators were quickly evacuated. The whale show has been cancelled, but the Orlando Sentinel reported that the park has not been closed.
A spokesperson with Orange County Fire Rescue confirmed personnel responded to a 911 call from the stadium shortly before 2 p.m. The employee was declared dead at the scene. Her identity has not been released.
SeaWorld officials are expected to brief the media later Wednesday.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...killer_whale_100224/20100224?hub=TopStoriesV2

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I guess it is unclear if the trainer fell in the water and the whale reacted or if the whale actually grabbed her as the witness said. Witnesses aren't always objective obviously.
someone said perhaps she fell and the whale was playing rough with her, apparently the whale has also killed someone many years ago while "playing rough".

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
I just saw that too. To me, it is a good example of why potentially dangerous wild animals should be left IN THE WILD. People go on and on about how intelligent dolphins are. Well then why would you trap an animal who migrate across the globe in a over-glorified swimming pool? Can you imagine being trapped in a small room and forced to perform, regardless of whether or not you want to? Of course, some of them do fine, just as some people would. But not all people are the same, and not all animals are either.
I am amazed when people continue to be shocked when their pet tiger who was 'always so friendly' rips their neck open, or the chimp they raised like a child eats their face off, or their pet wolf attacks a child.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
ageed, I visited sea world as a kid and never want to go back. Animals should not be forced or coerced into performing for profit.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I am pretty suprised. I know that orca's are predators but I never could imagine on taking out a person.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store