Heard the saddest thing at the LFS today....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Stopped by to pick up some tufa rock for the 10 gallon tank today. While I was there, the LFS worker got a call from a guy who wanted to know what was wrong with his lion fish. It was hanging upside down with an enormously distorted stomach. The LFS gal asks me what might be the problem. I asked what he was feeding...Goldfish. Not as treats, as the staple diet. Grrrrrr...The really bad part? The LFS gal told him goldfish were not a good choice for a SW lion, and he says "You know, I've heard that before. I keep having my lions die after about 6 months, too."

So not only is this guy not winning points for research, he's also failing to learn despite killing 4 lions.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
That is really sad it amazes me how neglegent some people can be. I actually just bought a Volitan today (about 5") and he is pure black, he's just beautiful. I think he might have been getting a few gf at the fish store but from now on he will only see live and frozen shrimp and such in his diet. I will post pics in a few weeks once he hits the main tank and his true colors show. What fish store was this Orion? Never been up to ones in Wyoming but just curious. Anyway, very sad and thats cool you could help out!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The Denizens of the Deep up here. Just baffles me how people can lose fish and not learn anything from it! Even if the lesson is "I should not try this animal, I keep killing them!"

redpaulhus

AC Members
Apr 26, 2002
Boston, MA
I've been fighting that battle with my customers for years... unfortunately, half of them bought a lionfish, grouper, trigger, snowflake, oscar, arrowana (etc etc etc) just because they wanted to see them eat goldfish...

I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall every weekend...

I'd like to print a few hundred copies of this article, and put them in the bag with every bag of goldfish sold:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/invert.htm

I told an idiot last sunday that what he was doing would kill his fish -- his answer: " I don't care, if it dies I'll buy another one, I want to see it kill"

I had to walk away.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Chin up--some of us are on your side (or maybe you are on ours? :) ). It's frustrating for me to see people walk out with a bag of feeders--even without knowing what they are feeding them to. There are way too many people who treat fish as disposable pets.

Raki

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Visit site
Just a little addition to the feeding gold fish to anything . Some years ago I had several small Curly Tail lizzards, and a few Gardner Snakes, all the pet shopes tried to push feeder fish (goldies) on me when they where out of crickets. I was told then by a very informed Vet never to feed gold fish to my lizzards because of the parisites they could carry and transfer to the lizzards. I imagine it would be the same if you fed them to other fish. Feeder fish aren't the best quality or the best taken care of at the pet shop, and why would anyone with a heart want to see somthing get killed.:confused:

Rhys

Fish Can't Swim Faster Me
Dec 8, 2003
Bris, Qld, Aus
Visit site
Yeah alot of ppl want to see fish kill or be killed. My sister told me today that her boyfriend put his two male bettas together just so he could see them fight and these were one of the best looking bettas i had ever seen they were easily 25 a pop. The stubborn fool lost not just one but both.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store