:[

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
In my almost brackish tank this morning I woke (6AM) up to one of my dragon gobys floating on the surface of the water with his stomach very distended. I was really upset and when I went to go take him out he started swimming. I figured he was going to die and I always let the fish die in the tank.

Ever since 10 he has been seemingly dead on the surface, but then after a few minutes he would thrash around the tank violently and keep sticking his head out of the water.

I stupidly thought that old tank water in a new tank would create a healthy new cycled tank. I was wrong and lost all of my Indian Glassfish this way, and now this goby is dying too.

He seemed to be getting worse and started doing that "crazy swim" that fish do before they die and I felt so bad I decided to Euthanize him. We do not have any clove oil and I am broke until I get my paycheck tonight and I didn't want him to have to wait until tomorrow. I read online about baking soda suffocating the fish so I decided to try that. He started coming up for air a lot more now and his other sick tankmate (the last indian glassfish) went unconscious very quickly. The goby has been thrashing around for about 10 minutes. I don't know what I can still do. I could never decapitate him, if I took him out of the water he would be alive for a while (these guys can live on carpets long) what should I do? :cry:

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
I used the freezing water shock method for killing... how long has it been up? is it cycled?

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
The tank is not cycled. I moved him from a 29 to a 33L and I used a totally different substrate and I just used water from the other tank thinking that would make an instant cycle. Now I know that isn't how it works and my 33 is having nitrite problems. I have been doing pretty big water changes every day adding stress coat each time. Since it's near brackish water I figure the marine salt I am adding takes place of the salt you normally add in this situation.

I hear the freezing method is slow and painful though.

I just held him under the water for a bit and he floated back up but doesn't seem to be trashing anymore. I just put him under a dome like filter top now that he is weaker and I am hoping this can hold him from coming to the top for air. It sounds cruel and I feel terrible having to do it, but this one of the most humane ways that I can do this. :'(

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
the freezing method is, not the freezing water shock, where you quickly dip the fish in near freezing water. Kills them in seconds usually, depending on size. And any tank can be instacycled with filer media from an established tank.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I did the the filter from the original tank, but the substrate is completely different and the footprint is a lot bigger and the tank is a lot shallower. The original filter pad was for a 30 gallon tank and went in a 20 gallon filter with the other filter having a brand new pad and there was no other bacteria. If you have enough old substrate and the same size filter as the tank then you can have and instant cycle, but the filter did about half of the filtering and the tank was larger and the substrate was new. On top of that, both filters are broken from the sand and I have two brand new 40g sponge filters in that I am relying on. I am glad that the ammonia problem is over, now I just need to wait for the nitrite problem to stop.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
You can buy a product called BioSpira to instantly cycle an aquarium, though I'm not sure if its only for freshwater, or if it will work with salt/brackish water tanks too... that's the best solution I can think of, besides doing what you are already. Prime says on the bottle it can be used to0 detoxify nitrites in an emergency, but I'm not sure how well i'd work.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
You can buy a product called BioSpira to instantly cycle an aquarium, though I'm not sure if its only for freshwater, or if it will work with salt/brackish water tanks too... that's the best solution I can think of, besides doing what you are already. Prime says on the bottle it can be used to0 detoxify nitrites in an emergency, but I'm not sure how well i'd work.
I have heard there is a product that is a very temporary fix, that may be prime. Where would I get this? I haven't seen any chemicals like that and if I have to order it chances are the nitrites will be under control by the time it arrives.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Prime is a common brand of water dechlorinator, any well-stocked LFS/LPS should have a bottle. You might also check and see if they have BioSpira, but beware, it is pretty expensive if I remember correctly.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Prime is a common brand of water dechlorinator, any well-stocked LFS/LPS should have a bottle. You might also check and see if they have BioSpira, but beware, it is pretty expensive if I remember correctly.
Okay, tomorrow I am making a trip out to my LFS so I will check there then and see how much it is.

A little update, it looks like the goby may be dead now. I will leave him in his place and when I get back from work later tonight I will make sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store