My beta's fins are tangled..?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slugzkea

AC Members
Dec 21, 2009
Canada
Ok long story short, I had my betta in a tank and he was doing fine. I decided to try and add some mollies and gouramis and it didn't work out so i moved my betta to a new tank.

He's doing fine, does what he usually does but his fins seem tangled...like in a swirl.

What causes this, and how can i fix it? the PH is good, water change and all, i don't know why his fins look so clumped and hard and not flowing like before...

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
he might be clamping his fins,maybe he was upset by the move?
post pics that way you can be helped better.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Yeah, we need pics to sort this out well.

slugzkea

AC Members
Dec 21, 2009
Canada
pics

pics soon, only camera i have is an iphone and the quality is pretty crappy.

Recently, I added a tank mate: bala shark. I named him jaws, he's sweet.

Mr blue (my betta) constantly flared at him, didn't attack him, but just constantly pursued him and flared at him. I seperated them, and put the bala shark in my 15.6g community tank.

When he was flaring, he looked like crap. I know what he usually looks like when he flares, beautiful and aggressive.

I have him isolated in a bowl, in a ziplock bag floating in his own tank so he gets the heat of the tank and I added betta revive.

I forgot to mention that in his original tank (the 15.6g) I tried adding a few friends, such as a gourami, and 2 mollies and he kept bossing them around, so they ganged up on him and were nipping at his fins behind his back

I don't think he ever fully recovered from those nips, so the betta revive should help him out.

Pics soon.

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
umm that bala is going to get to be about 14- 16 inches long.please tell me you are getting a larger tank soon cuz that bala likes friends.
take mr betta out of the bag! he is a labyrinth fish so he needs air.he doesent need to be in the bag if hee has his own tank. what are the water parameters and do you have a heater?
the best thing would be to probably return your bala to the fish store and research a fish before you buy it.
(srry if i sounded a lil bossy)

slugzkea

AC Members
Dec 21, 2009
Canada
getting a 30 gallon in 2 weeks. the bag is open, it's there so the bowl can float. the tank has a bit of ammonia and nitrate, hence the quarantine.

Yes heater, filter 82F

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
getting a 30 gallon in 2 weeks. the bag is open, it's there so the bowl can float. the tank has a bit of ammonia and nitrate, hence the quarantine.
Just 1 bala shark alone would need a 70g as an adult... best you return it.

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida

Yes heater, filter 82F
im not getting how the bag helps the bowl float,how is it floating? and if he is in a floating bowl then he shouldnt really need the bag.
he might have been bothered by the ammonia and the nitrates,could we have some more specific parameters please?
(oh and the pics would still help a lot;))

slugzkea

AC Members
Dec 21, 2009
Canada

This is mr blue right now. quarantined but still getting the heated environment from the tank. I just got a water test done an hour ago everything's fine other than a bit of ammonia and nitrite.

This is the best picture i could get, u can see the clumping...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store