Echinopora-ish thingy spawning

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I had to put that in the title, because I am not 100% certain what on earth it actually is, but it's spewing out eggs as I type. Unfortunately, I can't say if it is spawning due to being a good thing or a bad stimulus/i (but hopefully good). I'm watching to see if any others follow. I'd get a pic of it, but I've been extremely lax with the coralline scraping as of late. I wish it would've waited until tomorrow, which is when I intend to change the water and scrape the glass.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
As in the coral echinopora!? dude video tape it haha atleast try!

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'm lazy, man. It'll cramp my style. Hopefully it will do it again some other time when the glass is clean. I've had a good deal of (sexual) coral spawning in the past, even with Acropora, anemones, etc. This tank has done so awfully since I set it up, I guess I was rather thrilled to see something like that. Beyond that, the lights are off and turning them back on will cause it to stop.... wait, after checking on it, it finished. The mouths are still gaping open, though, so there may or may not be another round of them.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
did the mouth open and eggs just came out? ive only seen like one video of a coral spawning before and it was rather beautiful looking! lucky sight man im jealous!

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yep. The polyps elongate a bit, the tentacles contract a bit, the mouth starts to gape, and out comes a little white ball. It works that way with every coral I've seen spawning. With the anemones, it is roughly the same thing, except you should expect about 345,346,776,752 eggs to come out instead of just one, though they do come out in a big mucus packet, so it is almost like one egg.

Edit: I'm hoping it's a good thing. The only real changed variable is the amount of food I am feeding, which is a lot--as in a lot of coral food. That may or may not have something to do with it. Only time will tell and that is also assuming nothing else changes substantially in the interim, which seems next to impossible...

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Wow sounds awsome! i hope one of my corals does this soon! just the egg just land on a rock and if it survies just start growing there?

Echinophyllia is that the same thing as a chalice in all instances.. i know its off topic sorry and i dk why the font went like this

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'm not sure about the sexual status of this particular type of coral, assuming it is even what I think it is. It may be hermaphroditic or gonochoric, but I am leaning toward the latter, as it should have released both or one after the other if that were not the case. In this instance, there were just eggs. So to my knowledge, there won't be any viable planulae resulting from this at all. Just more coral and invert food.

If it were fertilized, it would float around for a while and metamorphose and settle onto a rock, which would eventually sprout a little coral.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store