My Decisions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Echinophyllia has become a big interest to me, i think its something about their pricing/uniqueness that interesting me the most. once i have my big tank up and running which will house almost all of my existing coral im gonna start up a rare chalice farm in my 14gal and make those my main targets in the reefing community.

Im gonna begin to read as much as i can about these corals that way i have optimal knowledge regarding everything about them.

Also once i set my equipment back up over the 34 gal im gonna give it a 1 week test time with MHS back on the tank to see if i still even have dino.. its been almost 3 months of no light in that tank, but it still could be there. if it ends up being there ill make my appt with a proffesional.

As for fish up to recent events i was set on picassos or leapord wrasses but seeing those Latezonatus clowns really sparked an interest in me, finding them at a cheaper price will result in me making a pair of them my fish in the solana!

as for recent decisions, seeing aces coral grow at such a rapid rate (atleast in my perception) has led me to sell my giant mushroom leather for extra room. its way easier to clean the glass as well.. ill post before and after pics of aces corals just to show how much they have grown now that the glass is completly clear and better visually

Also gonna buy that Skimmer ACE suggested to replace the stock one

obv. this threads a rant! i dont plan on posting to much for a little while once i post the before and after photos so i just wanted to let the people know why im vanished haha
... REMEMBER DSR? missing in action for months

Last edited:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
LOL... freak.. I dunno, maybe I am the oddball, but chalices do nothing for me. I remember when Acans cost a fortune not too long ago, but at least I saw some reason to somewhat justify the cost of them early on.. but chalices.. I really don't understand. Zoas to me have a much better variety and cost a lot less. Guillo1 has 3 pretty large chalices in his tank, 2 wild and an ORA one, none of them look like much of anything, but bland blobs on the glass bottom of his tank. They grow very fast also and he never feeds them. The more expensive ones do have nice colors, but favias are similar and have even better colors IMO. But to each his own.. I have known a few Chalice nuts already... why not add one more to the group. ;) I still don't think I have a true preference myself on corals, I like them all for different reasons. Duncans and frogspawn for their movement, favias and acans for their looks and color, brains - especially maze brains for their patterns.. and on and on..

There have been quite a few people over the years that have come on this forum and had great setups and were helpful, besides DSR there was also Grins and Woodright just off the top of my head that I miss seeing around here.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
yea man i was even gonna say in my above post "ace you like your colorful sticks i like my expensive bumpy blobs" hahaha i dk why i like chalices so much, theres just such something about them (trust me im gonna be the one saving up to buy the expensive ones that have the color and uniqueness im looking for have a couple already planned) i gotta say though besides montis and the occasional acro, sps doesnt do much for me anymore, and i thought i was really gonna get into it.

DSR helped me greatly starting into this hobby, since like 3 months ago that dude vanished.... had a nice setup id love to see these days!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'm not a fan of them, either, though they can be extraordinarily colorful. I still prefer my miraculous growing sticks over anything else, though (short of the two larger polyped species that have been with me a while).

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Those are nice, but the prices make me curl up in agony. I just can't justify that--on any coral, for that matter. I figure my best bet is to simply wait until someone local snags one and get it for a substantially lower price (or free) a bit later on.

Edit: I, too, noticed DSR hadn't been around lately. People do come and go. Even the most active folks will suddenly up and vanish.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
i really like the first one, i just like the eyes on second.. i dk how long the first one will last so that might be my first one (besides my pumpkin patch :) my favorite..) then i plan on going more mainstream, watermelons, bazooka joe, war of the worlds, etc etc

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
now im running into confusion as sometimes echinophyllia is sometimes said to be a chalice as i like to say, but sometimes they arent listed as such.. is it just out of lazyness or is there a distinct difference between echino and chalice, or is echino just the scientific name and chalice the common?

think that price is crazy amph check out this one ive had my eye on for a while
http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Detail.aspx?ID=11266&ReturnPage=%2fShowProductCategory.aspx%3fCategoryId%3d83%23T1-13+

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
They are generally Echinophyllia, but the term "chalice" is broad and can refer to similar looking corals. It is usually easier for most just to call them "chalices." I think it is more out of convenience that they are called that, rather than a full scientific name being given. Most people who buy them probably won't know the scientific name to begin with and IDs can get pretty hairy at times, anyway, even for coral biologists.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
See, that WOTW chalice you linked above looks like a bland version of the Seasons Greetings Monti... color wise anyway. I know they are completely different types of corals. ;)

So, since this is just a random thread and I don't feel like starting a new one I just wanted to post I ordered 2 of the new Koralia Evolution 750GPH powerheads from MarineDepot (They went on SALE yesterday!) for my 29G tank to replace my K2 and K3. The K2=600GPH and K3=850, and both of those I have always felt were just out the outter ranges of what I would like in that tank, 2 being a tad too weak and 3 being a tad too strong, hopefully replacing them both with 750GPH versions that have broader flow will be perfect for a 29G.

I also ordered a new heater for my main tank (been over a year) as well as a bottle of Purigen and Cuprisorb. I am still thinking I have something contaminating my water (possibly my Gen-X closed loop pump?) and putting something like cuprisorb will hopefully tell me if that is the case. My tank is still dying, every monti died in the last 7 days for some reason even though I have been completely hands off for the last 10 days just seeing if doing nothing would somehow calm the problems down.. nope.. so on to the next idea of what it may be.. heater and metals in the water are 2 of my latest lines of thinking of what could be causing the problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store