Introduction / 125 Gallon Terrarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Greetings: :hi:

Yes I have pix! :D …. And more to come! :headbang2:
This is a unique build in that it is a terrarium with an enclosed aquarium. Not quite a paludarium because the aquarium is completely separate.

This idea is not my fully my own but I owe the basic idea to numerous people whom have tried similar ideas in the past and have posted their results on various forums.

This all started because I moved due to my increasing infirmity. :y220d: I lived in Maine where I had large tanks. Some Fresh Water and some Marine. I now live near my family in Ohio because travel for me became more of a challenge and travel for them was nearly impossible.

To shorten the story a little I still have the large tanks but I am only allowed to have one aquarium no larger than 10 gallons in capacity. :wall: :cry: Therein lies the rub… What to do with my large tanks………. :idea: Build a terrarium …. no water in there. (BTW the other day we had a routine apartment inspection with the owners :raspberry: they saw the large 125 Gallon tank in progress haven’t heard a peep about it.)

A terrarium it is and I could do some sort of nano system in the 10 gallon. I know 10 gallons doesn’t quite cut it in the nano world … :eek: cut me a little slack here … I am not used to doing anything smaller than 50 gallons … so 10 gallons is a challenge for me.

I am an architect by trade so drawings are a part of my nature; planning is also a part of my nature … I hate going off half cocked. If I don’t have at least 80% of the answers nothing happens. I have a plan book with detailed sketches and the works. Even part numbers if I know them in advance.

I’m also frugal, better, faster, cheaper … is my mantra; focus on the cheaper!!!

So on with the build.

The 10 Gallon …

I used to do “Amono” style tanks with the black back grounds. This time I wanted to do something a little different. While researching terrarium ideas I came across rock type backgrounds for those who keep a variety of toads and frogs and other creatures. It was way cool. … the creatures and the vivs they were kept in … it got me to thinking …

So the 10 Gallon looks like an “Amono” style tank with a textured black background inside. (See thumbnail)

The Main Tank a 125 Gallon in progress (See thumbnail)

The layout is about the same as seen here. I have a few of the plants the I rescued from Lowes on sale cheap. Remember my mantra …

I have a planting schematic (See thumbnail)

There are other pictures that detail the actual 10 Gallon background build. and drawings that are not yet digital but I am working on that.

The soil substrate in the terrarium is a custom blend: 2 parts Leaf Humus : 1 part Peat : 1 part Soil Conditioner (Looks like kitty litter but is Arcillite a type of Calcined clay)

The Soil Conditioner will also be used as a substrate in the planted Aquarium.

References for ideas came from these forums and sites among others:

Background idea for 10 Gallon tank,
http://www.blackjungle.com/gallery/talltank/page1.html

Background idea for 125 Gallon tank,
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/40473-detailed-journal-colored-foam-tank-rear-access-artificial-vines-stumps.html

http://www.bragdonent.com/gfguide.htm

My thanks goes out to the many who have gone before me and posted there efforts and failures. With out thier work I may have never came up with this plan or idea.

To those who my want to experiment with these procedures … your mileage may vary.

Best Wishes :cool-1:

Wes

000_0130.jpg 125 Gallon Pre-Construction.jpg T-Quarium Plan plant scm.jpg

Last edited:

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Materials for the background on the 125 Gallon tank have benn ordered, supplies are on hand. The general techniques have been studies and work on it will begin as soon as the materials arrive next week. I will not be using Great stuff foan but a pourable expanding foan of similar make-up --- it is still a polyurethane foam but not in a can and a lot cheaper from U.S. Composites --- http://www.uscomposites.com/index.html

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
So I have completed the background for the 125 Gallon Terrarium. Here are some pictures.

Two of the pictures show the products. It is a two part expading urethane foan just like Great Stuff only a lot cheaper. Toal cost for the back of the 125 Gallon $26 including coloring. There is a formed tube down the right end of the background to siphon off excess watering (just in case).

Window Screen is used to controll the expasion and to shape the foan for conturing.

I need to enlist some help at lifting it up on the base. the on to the substrate/Soil. And Finally the 10 Gallon Aquarium which is in the process of cycling now for the last month or so.

Broad view oc semi-completed 125 Gallon Terrarium 1.jpg Broad view of semi-completed 125 Gallon Terrarium 2.jpg Left End Semi-completed 125 Gallon Terrarium.jpg Background Process Began.jpg Completely Cover the Foam During the Curing Process.jpg Covering the Foam During the Curing Process.jpg Laying in the screen.jpg Pigment Used for Background.jpg Two Part Foam Used in Process.jpg

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
For those who may want to know the process:

Terrarium Background Process
Materials:
Fiberglass Window Screen
  • Two Part Expanding Resin Foam
  • Painters Film
  • Disposable stir sticks
  • Permanent line chalk (black)
  • Cardboard Squeegee
  • Silicone Caulk
  • Fine Black Aquarium Gravel
  • Disposable cups (8 oz.)(Paper or plastic -- (not foam!)
  • Timer
  • Scissors
  • Razor Knife
  • Exacto-Knife
Procedure:
Note: It is a good idea to cover tables and floors with disposable plastic tarps or news papers. It is best to wear disposable rubber or vinyl gloves while handling resins as the resins are difficult to remove from skin and may cause an allergic skin rash in some individuals.

1. Begin by placing a piece of single layer of fiberglass window screen fabric no larger than 2 square feet directly on the back of the aquarium tank. (Note: Tank should be placed lying on its back. One should work at a comfortable level if possible.)

Note: Disposable cups are very convenient for measuring the resin.

Note: While learning these procedures it is also important to use the resins at a temperature between 50 and 60 degrees F. Warmer temperatures will cause the foam to set very quickly. You can control the amount of working time you need by controlling the temperature of the resin. On warm days keep the resin bottles in an ice chest or refrigerator.

2. Black chalk is added at this point. (Rate is: 2 Tablespoons of black chalk per 4 oz of foam [2 oz. “A” and 2 oz “B”])
3. Stir in black chalk into part “B” thoroughly.
4. For a two sq. ft. project: 2 ounces of “A” and 2 ounces of “B” foam resin is needed. “A” and “B” are always mixed in equal proportions.
5. Pour the two measured liquids into a larger paper or plastic cup and stir with a disposable stick for about 15 to 20 seconds.
6. Pour a stream of mixed resin over the screen and squeegee it evenly over the surface with a 4 inch square of cardboard.
7. Spread the liquid thinly and evenly all the way to the edge of the screen with a square of cardboard. The idea is to encapsulate the screen completely. Spread the foam as fast as possible because it will begin to expand quickly.
8. Allow the foam to expand for 5 – 10 minutes.
9. Spread aquarium gravel over the surface of the spread foam. Spreading evenly but moderately.
10. Place a piece of plastic sheeting over the gravel and press it and smooth it with your hands.
11. Keep pressing the layers together with your hands (the plastic film will prevent the sticky foam from getting on your skin).
12. This takes 1- 5 minutes or so to allow the foam to expand into the screen.
13. The outer layer of plastic film should be removed when the foam is soft set and is no longer sticky.
14. The surface will stiffen in 30 minutes or so but will not reach maximum strength for at least 24 hours.
15. Additional panels can be made in any manageable size and attached and formed in the same way.

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
OK the next phase will be to get the tank up on the base and begin filling the sump and soil.

The sump will be a dry sump filled with pea gravel. On the right end of the background is molded-in tube for draining the sump should I somehow over-water the terrarium. (I was told that this 125 Gallon tank does not hold water. It was not a concern to me seeing how I did not want to use it as an aquarium.) At the bottom of the sump tube there is a screen to keep the gravel out so that the siphon area is clear any time as necessary.

Over the pea gravel will be two layer of fiberglass window screen. This in turn will be layered with a custom blended soil: 2 parts Loam: 1 part Peat: 1 part Soil Conditioner (Arcillite)

I have setteled on these plants for the terrarium:

1. Aluminum plant (Pilea cadierii)
2. Baby tears (Helxine soleirolii)
3. Earth star (Cryptanthus bromelioides)
4. English ivy (Hedera helix)
5. Irish moss (Selaginella spp.)
6. Miniature peperomia (Pilea depressa)
7. Nerve plant (Fittonia verschaffeltii)
8. Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans)
9. Prayer plant (Maranta leucoreura)
10. Gold Fish Plants (Nematanthus wettsteinii)
11. Mini Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe blossfeldiana spp)
12. Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea muscipula)
13. Kato Moss

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Did some mods to the background already. Had to add a hide for the wiring and tubing that will service the 10 Gallon aquarium enclosed. I will run the tubing and wires down the sump tube. These are the pix for that. That mod only took about an hour.

Of the pix: The first pic is making the cover for the hole in the sump tube. I completed the sump screen which will allow me to drain the tank should I inadvertantly add too much water to the tank while watering the terrarium or should the 10 Gallon aquarium decide to spring a leak. Among the pix you can see where I simply cut a hole in the formed foam. I used one of those fruit carving tools that make decorative fruit bowls. Real easy to cut and make mods.

Completed Sump Corner Overview and Wiring Hide.jpg Sump Screen 2.jpg Sump Tube Overview.jpg Wiring Access for 10 G Aquaium.jpg Wiring Access Hide Formation.jpg

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Front View First day on Base.jpg

Center Substrate Sump.jpg

Front Right Corner Substrate Sump.jpg

UPDATE!!!

I Finally Got the beast on the base!!!

After sever hours of stone washing (You other aquarium keepers know about that) I got to put some gravel in the tank.

The first pic is the overall view. (Did I really need to say that?)

The second pic is not so clear. You can see two distinct layers. What one may not see is that there is fiberglass mesh between the layers. The purpose for this layering is that there will be a 10 Gallon Aquarium placed in that area and the light colored material is a finer soil conditioner that will allow any water to pass through to the sump. And cushion the Glass Aquarium from the hard stones beneth. There will also be a layer of styrofoam under the aquarium as well.

The third pic is the front right corner. I think it shows the pea gravel, screen, soil conditioner, styrofoam and tank (Note this foam and tank are not the foam and tank that will be use in the final placement. this was only a 2.5 Gallon to help me level the area off. I still have some work on that area.)

Heres some progress pix. Enjoy.

Best Wishes

Wes

Front View First day on Base.jpg Center Substrate Sump.jpg Front Right Corner Substrate Sump.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store