Moorish Idol

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
I've been fortunate to keep a Cooper-Banded Butterfly alive and well now for > 6 months.

With this in mind, I thought I would take the plunge on a Moorish Idol.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Good luck. I will say, however, that that idol is on the thin side. I can see some of the dorsal musculature is gone, which indicates this. Pretty common in these fish, however, as most are thin when they come in. That's partially what makes keeping them difficult.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
well - he has displayed nothing but healthy habits since I first eyeballed him over a week ago in my LFS. And, he is already eating for me here at home.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Nice one! Keep him/her well fed which means constant small feeding similar to grazers.

I personally done better in large tank but in groups as found in nature. I used to have frozen food rubbed on rough/sharp dead corals (acro, brain, etc) and kept them in freezer so I can just rotate the dead coral skelteons. Soon they learned to recognize the dinner plates.
This of course after few losses during adaptation period to captivity.

How big is you tank? How old is the set up? Pics of whole tank?

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
wow i really like that copper band! nice find! good luck with keeping it alive!

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
wow i really like that copper band! nice find! good luck with keeping it alive!
I've had him over 6 months now. I would not say I am out of the woods with him, as these guys need constant vigilance to support. However, I do feel 6-months is a good indicator of him being in a relatively hospitable environment.

I used to have frozen food rubbed on rough/sharp dead corals (acro, brain, etc) and kept them in freezer so I can just rotate the dead coral skeletons.
Cool Idea. Perhaps I'll try it with a small piece of tonga branh rock from my fuge.

How big is you tank?
230 gal

How old is the set up?
15 months

Pics of whole tank?
Two FTS from ~ 3-4 months ago

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store