just a few questions about brackish-marine fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
i love puffers so im converting my 46 gallon tank into a puffer tank
so ive been debating on wether i shuld get a ceylon puffer or a gsp,
i have acses to both fish and i like the ceylon alot more so far because i think it will fill the tank better but i am unsure about something that wuld probably influence my decision alot more if i realy understood it
now i know both fish sort of graduate to saltier water as they get larger but from what i understand the gsp sort of stops at high brackish while the ceylon needs full marine
but i dont realy know what that means other than saltier water

can someone explain exactly what ide need to care for a ceylon vs a gsp

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
ok so live rock and protien skimmer thanks
anything else you can tell me ive never done marine/very high brackish before

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
If I were you, cycle the tank at whatever SG the fish are in at the store you're buying them from (usually FW). Then after your parameters with the fish in there are good for a week or 2, you can slowly start raising the SG as per my article. This should save you a lot on $alt in the long run, with 50% weekly WC, until you have the LR & skimmer added.

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
I've been cycling my brackish to get it to 1.005 for my two 1.5" puffers... should I keep gradually upping it?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Are the puffers in there now? If not, find out what they are in at the store you are buying them from. Use your own hydrometer.

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
i havent even made a decision yet on gsp vs ceylon

its probably going to be a looooooooooooong time before i buy a puffer at the moment im just waiting for my cherry shrimp and red ramshorns to breed i have had them three weeks an so far i have +0 snails and -3 shrimp

so its not going to well
at the moment i just dumped them in a cycled 10 galon with lots of moss to climb on
so any tips to getting this food to breed wuld be great
also i want to know what gohst shrimp are like in tearms of breading considering $ of 1 cherry shrimp = 10 gohst shrimp

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
There are many, many other alternatives for food for your puffer. Are you cycling his tank yet?

kYle223

AC Members
Dec 27, 2009
yes there are other food choices but this ones free in the long run so im just waiting for them to get breeding a little bit
ile probably buy a few bags of frozen shrimp or something aswell (any recomendations?)

im not going to start cycling the tank untill im almost ready to buy or have already bought the fish they have the gsps in fresh i still need to check about the ceylons but they are around 1-1.5" so im asuming the store will probably have them in fresh aswell

it is a fully cycled freshwater tank so i wont need to wory about that if the puffers in fresh
and its full of fish that i will sell to the fish store and hopefully pay for the puffer with
they are all freshwater fish so i dont want to add salt just yet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store