**Help! Floating Snail**

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maryab91

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
TENNESSEE
I've got a Black Mystery Snail that is floating on top of the water!
Is he dead or what...
He's a nice size, probably 1 1/4" in diameter.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Do you have a picture?

goldfish247

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
Australia
Is he actually on top of the water or is the top of the shell just out of/ at the surface of the water and the rest of the shell is below the surface?

Most likely, he took in too much air and went to free fall down to the bottom of the tank, but instead floated. If this is the case, he should come down in a day or so.

To check if he is dead, pull him out and smell him. If he's dead you'll know it by how much it stinks!

Wish you all the best:)

Last edited:

maryab91

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
TENNESSEE
Thanks! He was floating, but now he has dropped to the bottom. He's upside-down though... and not coming out of his shell.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Go ahead and turn him over. DO you have sand or gravel? I noticed that my snails have a lot more trouble righting themselves in the sand than they do in the gravel. But they do float quite often so don't worry. Any of mine that have died, died on the bottom and never floated.

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
if his body is hanging out of the shell he is dead, if not he is most likely alive. My snails have done that before.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
My bridgesii have taken to cliff diving off of the sides of my tank on a regular basis, every now and then one decides to float out and ride the outflow from my filter. If it's moving once you right it, it'll be fine. I almost panicked the first time I saw them do that. Now I think they do it just to be clowns. Heck, the smaller ones will hang upside-down from the surface tension with their feet sometimes.

maryab91

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
TENNESSEE
Lol, yeah the smaller snail I have does that too! He's ok I guess.. I turned him over.. he's not moving yet, but hopefully he will in a little while. And he doesn't stink, so I guess he isn't dead. Thank you guys! I panicked last night when he was floating. I love that snail, Lol.. is that weird? When I bought him he was TINY.. now he's a big one but has never pulled a stunt like that before!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store