sun coral

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
how often should sun coral be fed? also,what are the best foods too feed?

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Tubastraea can probably 'get by' with feedings twice a week, however it's probably recommended to feed them at least 3 times a week or every other day and feed as many of the polyps as possible.

Mysis shrimp is a fine food to target feed them, though they will also take smaller items such as cyclopeeze.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
They will work for now, but I suggest finding something else with more nutrition. See if you can find cyclopeeze, as kay-bee suggested. Then see if you can locate the mysids, which I consider a better maintenance food.

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
ok cool,I did oder some.No telling how long for it to arrive here though.They took the food on time until my fat blenny got into it,he started ripping it out of the suncorals mouth.hes a pig,very comical too.should I think about moving him to another tank??

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
no need to move the blenny, unless you just want to. You can take a 2 litter bottle and cut the bottom off, sit this over the sun coral at feeding time and it will keep the thieves away. :)

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
Nooo! I love my little blenny.Ok so I thought these corals dont like direct light.I put mine in a shaded area under a rock.should I place them on the bottom under an overhang?Where they are all of them are open some what.Im all for the bottle method though

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Or consider feeding them at night. The fish will be inactive, while the suncoral will be at its heterotrophic prime.

Edit: light is irrelevant. If you have a specimen that is already ailing with lots of exposed skeleton, you'll want to shade it to discourage algal growth. Otherwise, any lighting regime is fine, even the more intense ones.

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
yeah....would be nice ,but hes up all night swimming around and checking things out.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, kick his butt :D. Something else you can try is to use those green baskets that strawberries come in and cap the coral while you feed it. It will allow plenty of flow-through at the same time, but it may waste a bit of food, which is a problem if your export mechanisms aren't sufficient. The bottle approach, as AnnetteG mentioned, is another good way to do it without losing as much food. It can be a bit bulky compared to the basket, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store