40 Gallons Wet, 30 Gallons Dry...Build Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rojowe

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2009
Hey Guys,
So I've never done a Vivarium or Terrarium or whatever this is called. Here is my idea. I've taken a 60 gallon aquarium, 48'' x 12'' x 24'' I've removed the plastic frame, cut away the back panel of glass, laid the tank on its side and now I want to put the side piece on what was the top. Hopefully you can see from the pictures what I'm talking about, I know there low quality but camera battery is dead and I've only got the camera on my macbook.
I don't know exactly what will live in the tank once its set up but I do have an idea of what I want to do with the tank. I just have a few questions along the way.
So the bottom of the tank is obviously going to be filled with water, roughly 45 gallons, about 12'' deep. Then using eggcrate I am going to make a land platform in the back 12'' or so since the tank is now 24'' from front to back. The land platform will form a sort of cave in the water so the fish can have there place to hide. I'm actually thinking about maybe Yellow Lab Cichlids since they need relatively less space then others such as Jack Dempseys.
My main question is how do I attach the plywood I have to form a sort of top/cover? I hope the pictures explain what I want to do. If no one understands I will try to explain better. I've also attached a picture, not mine, of a style of land platform I like. This person used eggcrate as well to make it. The only bit I don't want is the slide looking waterfall.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I'm actually really excited about this project.

Photo 3.jpg Photo 14.jpg carving foam.JPG.jpeg

rojowe

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2009
Well I went and bought GEII Black Silicone and I am letting the silicone cure now, I'm giving it 24 hours before I do a leak test. I think its supposed to be 24 hours. I think tonight I will silicone with wood side panels into place. I'm still trying to figure out what I want in the tank. Right now I'm thinking Yellow Lab Cichlids, does anyone have any suggestions on amphibians, I'm not a fan of toads or frogs, I prefer Lizards. Suggestions please?

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Any updates on this build?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store