not sure what to do with my goldies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
i put in some new plants from the LFS nearly a week ago, and in the past 3-4 days my fish have been occassionally flashing, today my moor and one of the smaller fantails have been bottom sitting which is very very unlike them. i have done my usual 60-70% PWC with gravel vac 2 days ago and it had no effect on the flashing.

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
p.h. 8.0
temp 75*

i didnt rinse the plants at all, i usually do a salt bath and sit them in it for an hour and then rinse them thoroughly, but this time i was in a rush as i was going straight out again and i just dumped them in. i dont know what may have come in on them, but its the only new addition thats gone in there apart from 2 common goldfish 2-3 weeks ago that lived by themselves for 6-7 months in a small tank with no live plants etc and were in perfect health apart from being slightly stunted.

i see no evidence of white spot at all, but have dosed the tank with aquarium salt after the water change just incase. i figure it wouldnt harm. im really worried about my moor now though. 3 or 4 other fish have been flashing once or twice a day, and there has also been some occassional fin flicking too. all are eating well, and look really well, but i cant figure what may be causing these 2 to bottom sit. as soon as i open the cover they are up and swimming about as usual looking for food so i know there is nothing wrong in that way, they are able to get up and swim around they just arent. they just sit there, looking at me, no rapid breathing, if anything its very slow. the other fish seem a little down too, not bottom sitting but generally not foraging much, more hanging in the water in one place with the odd tail flick if they start to drift. they all seem to be lacking energy.

please if you have any ideas, i would be very greatful for your input. im in the uk so anything i need to treat with will need to be readily available over here. thanks for reading.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
have you taken the plants out?

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
no, theres not much point now is there. they have been in for a while now, anything they had on them will be in the tank by now. im thinking it may be flukes, though am unsure how they could have come in on the plants. i guess its possible they have been there for a while and i havent noticed any problem behaviour until now.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
ok, so since ive salted the tank, the flashing has almost stopped, infact i havent seen one flash in more than a day. the black moor is now up and about, and as soon as she left the floor the males flocked to her so im guessing she had been spawning and had become exhausted. i have removed the 3 main problem males and seeing how she goes today with just bruce and oddball left in there, so far, no bottom sitting. my orange and white oranda girl is in for it today, shes been spawning since around 7am.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Kelly, have all your goldfish been treated with praziquantel? Bottom sitting, flicking and clamping of fins are all signs of the prevalent flukes among goldfish. If you have not treated with prazi even once before, please start the prazi dosing on all your goldfish.

Dose 2.5mg per liter and remove carbon from your filter if you have it there.

Here's the dosing schedule.
Day 1 -- remove carbon, perform water change with vacuuming, and add Prazi to tank
Day 2 -- add Prazi
Day 3 -- do nothing
Day 4 -- do nothing
Day 5 -- do nothing
Day 6 -- add Prazi
Day 7 -- add Prazi
Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming
Day 14 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 21 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 28 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 35 - normal partial water change, add carbon, treatment is complete

Vacuum your substrate thoroughly for larval and egg stages that could be harboring around there. If possible, reduce your substrate thickness to at least an inch or even less to allow the prazi to penetrate all layers of the bottom. A lot of parasites also thrive in organic matter accumulating at the bottom so you do need to vacuum the substrate thoroughly and reduce it so you can be rest assured the parasites are completely eliminated.

Edit: Darn it! I just noticed you're in UK. Do you have access to Kusuri Wormer Plus? If you could order Prazipro from US, it'll work just fine. If not, Kusuri Wormer Plus will still work fine. It's flubendazole though but can eliminate a broader range of parasites especially nematodes aside from cestodes and trematodes.

Try this link if you can order Solupraz. Look for Tremazol as another option. Both are prazi meds.
http://www.fish-treatment.co.uk/products.html

I'm not familiar of some sources in UK for prazi but someone from a goldfish forum posted this.
SERA TREMAZOL 25ml GILL & SKIN FLUKES FISH TREATMENT
The Mill Garden, Pet and Aquatic Centre
Whittington Way
Station Road
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
S41 9AG

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
i have been looking at kusuri fluke-m which is available over here, and also the wormer plus. hopefully i can order some very soon but right now i dont have the spare cash. ive never treated them before so i know i should do. the wormer plus one says for tropicals so i was a bit wary, but the fluke-m is for koi and coldwater fish.

they dont have clamped fins though, they have flicked them around a fair amount in the past week or so but not clamped, all fins are out and open, but the bottom sitting and flashing were worrying me. i want to treat them all as a just in case measure anyway so i will be buying some asap. thanks for the info lupin, always here to save the day for us :thumbsup:

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
:cool: ok thanks for that lupin, will go for that instead, i can get hold of it cheaper, so sooner aswell. thank you.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
well, ive just done a 50% water change and added the kusuri wormer plus. the water is white and hazy but im sure it will clear soon. the fish started flicking more, and i noticed a few what looked like tiny white lines on the fish fins, couldnt see any on bodies though. they are seemingly fine so far, they have started flicking their fins around and flashing a lot more since i added the treatment, but hopefully it will calm down soon enough. im so nervous for them!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store